I have been a faithful supporter of Lanseria airport (and obviously Kulula) over the last couple of years. Whether I was a passenger or picking up/dropping off someone, it used to be the most pleasant airport-experience... quick, efficient, stressfree.

And when they added Mango as an alternative airline, I thought: GREAT, a little competition is always good for the customer. Except, nothing was done to the infrastructure or airport staff to support the increase in number of passengers.

On Friday I had to pick someone up who was set to arrive at 14h10. As usual I checked that the flight departed on time, then left for the airport, as usual, to arrive at exactly 14h15, allowing them to collect their luggage, so I would litterally just drive through and pick them up. Well, by 14h40 I was still stuck behind the boom, and security was not letting anyone into the drive-through pick up area, since the passengers were stuck inside without their luggage, and the traffic had come to a grinding halt and was backed up all the way to the main road! Drivers were so irate, there was hooting and swearing and threats flying around. A fat policeman came up to the 4 cars who were stuck behind the boom, and told us to reverse out and get out of here. I said to him "but I have to pick up a passenger, and if I drive off now, I won't get back in with all this traffic." His reply: " I said get the f@ck out, white woman!"

I guess I'll be using OR Tambo in future. And I'll make sure I tell as many people as I can why they shouldn't consider Lanseria anymore.