Thread: Pastel Partner v 9.3.4

Thanks

Pastel Partner v 9.3.4

Hi Neville,

Is there any way that I can clean up my inventory file by removing items that still have a history by means of your special software.

You can imagine that in 20 years, one can accumulate a lot of item files that just clutter up the system.

Further......pse pm me with a quote for 1 additional user from 5 to 6.

Thanks
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Hi Martin,

The short answer is No.

Although I can delete any stock items with my database software, I would strongly not recommend it if the items have transaction history, as it would cause havoc with the audit trail integrity of the stock.

As you probably know, the general rule is that you can only delete a stock item if it has no transaction history for at least two financial years. Even then, you might still not be able to delete certain items, as those items might be linked to document history (e.g. invoices, credit notes, orders, etc), which Pastel, by default, keeps indefinitely.

In that case, I would suggest that you purge document history prior to the beginning of last financial year, by using the Change...Delete History/Clear Files menu option, then select Delete/Consolidate Transactions. After doing this, you will find that you will be able to delete all the stock items that have not had any activity for the current and prior financial year.

I will email your quote shortly.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Hi Neville,

I have been playing around with a dummy company.

If I: Change-Delete History/Clear files - Clear balances-Sales analysis codes- Sales analysis Code Master file, Then I can delete any/all Inventory items.
    BUT, what else will be affected ?
    I see that if you want to make an invoice you have to first make a new Sales code but what else gets affected ?
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    If I: Change-Delete History/Clear files - Clear balances-Sales analysis codes- Sales analysis Code Master file, Then I can delete any/all Inventory items.
    BUT, what else will be affected ?
    I see that if you want to make an invoice you have to first make a new Sales code but what else gets
    You've lost me...

Don't delete any masterfiles, only delete balances.

Thanks
    Sorry Neville, Got distracted while making the post.

My question should be.........what else gets affected if one should clear the Sales analysis code masterfile ?
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks

Delete Inventory Items

Hello Neville. I would also like to remove unused inventory items but when I try Change...Delete History/Clear Files menu option, it tells me there are open batches (Quotes & Invoices). Do you perhaps know how I can get around this so I can tidy up the inventory list??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    Hi Martin,

The short answer is No.

Although I can delete any stock items with my database software, I would strongly not recommend it if the items have transaction history, as it would cause havoc with the audit trail integrity of the stock.

As you probably know, the general rule is that you can only delete a stock item if it has no transaction history for at least two financial years. Even then, you might still not be able to delete certain items, as those items might be linked to document history (e.g. invoices, credit notes, orders, etc), which Pastel, by default, keeps indefinitely.

In that case, I would suggest that you purge document history prior to the beginning of last financial year, by using the Change...Delete History/Clear Files menu option, then select Delete/Consolidate Transactions. After doing this, you will find that you will be able to delete all the stock items that have not had any activity for the current and prior financial year.

I will email your quote shortly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HM0511 View Post
    Hello Neville. I would also like to remove unused inventory items but when I try Change...Delete History/Clear Files menu option, it tells me there are open batches (Quotes & Invoices). Do you perhaps know how I can get around this so I can tidy up the inventory list??

Thanks
    You will need to update any open batches before you can use the Change...Delete History/Clear Files option. There is no way around that.

By the way, Quotes can't be updated, so don't worry about them.