Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Right to Life

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is the duty of a state (Government) to protect its citizens. In our case the government is failing dismally. Laws are ineffective due to (some) corrupt policemen and politicians.

We often read about prisoners escaping or criminals going free on a technicality. Police are not well trained and sometimes mess up crime scenes so that evidence is destroyed. Criminals (including organised crime) know that the statistics are in their favour and the chances of getting caught is slim. If they do get caught, the conviction rate is low due to a weak legal system.

I have been fortunate that I have not been a victim of serious crime. I do not want to carry a gun, but I can understand why some people feel that they should go to extremes to protect their families. If the State did their duty, we would not have to live in a war zone.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mother View Post
    Seriously?!

I disagree. I prefer not to have a firearm in the house, because I have little children. But I do carry a flame thrower... too tricky for little fingers to operate, but super efficient up to about 6m. It throws a ball of fire roughly 1m in diameter. I pray I never have to use it; but if my kids are in danger, I will roast the bugger!
    Wow! I wouldn't want to end up in your house at midnight :-). I do not have a firearm, or any other lethal weapon in my possession, and doubt I ever will. I own 2 cans of pepper-spray, 1 stun-gun and a stun baton. All of these are effective, easy to use and most of all - SAFE. If a kid accidentally comes across it, it has several safety measures and even if they do get past them - the odds of them getting killed is VERY slim (perhaps a little pain, but not death).

I have never had to use them, and I pray I never will. But anyway, If I do need them I have them at my disposal. I will find it hard to take another persons life - even if he/she had the plan to take mine - I haven't got it in me.

But anyway - we all have our own ideas, ideals and opinions in this matter - and it will be hard for anyone to win a debate like this. Similar to the Windows vs. Linux or maybe the Microsoft Office vs Open Office debate.

Regards,
    Mr Smit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mother View Post
    But I do carry a flame thrower... too tricky for little fingers to operate, but super efficient up to about 6m. It throws a ball of fire roughly 1m in diameter. I pray I never have to use it; but if my kids are in danger, I will roast the bugger!
    I hope you have alternative accomodation available (and fire insurance) if you ever confront a burglar with your flame thrower.

Did you make this contraption yourself or did you buy it locally?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I hope you have alternative accomodation available
    ... which is why I pray I never have to use it! LOL!

I bought it from one of those travelling salesmen (you know, the kind that sell all sorts of freaky gadgets). It's surprisingly simple: it works on the same principle as the "doom + lighter" party trick, only this one uses pepper spray + what looks like lighter fluid. If you squeeze the trigger, the initial flame is a small blue one; then you press down on the pepper spray with your thumb, and it's "koebaai Meraai".

Thanks
    The cop's were looking for a sneezing suspect who was dyed red and had his hair and eybrows burned off.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I'm sure the cops would be looking but it's pretty medium rare that they ever catch the guy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You're cooking, boys!! Well done!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seeing as you have the flame thrower, I suspect you're the one that's doing the cooking, mother

Suspended
    Thanks
    lucky its not petrol driven...imagine the cost to run it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    So it really doesn't matter what you use, you will only get one chance to use it. All I can say is:

Be vigilant
    Be careful
    Avoid being alone
    Avoid isolated arias.
    I believe that neighbours should watch out for each other. I don't know how many neighbourhood watches are still operating and how effective they are, but that sounds like a good deterrent.

In our suburb we use Sun Cell Watch which works very well. Our crime stats are very low with only the (very) occasional opportunistic petty crime reported. A resident will report suspicious activity via SMS. The control room will filter the report and then send out SMS warnings to members only in that street or vicinity. The message is also relayed to the police and security companies.

Should a crime be committed, the response is often there before residents realise what is going on. By residents being vigilant and keeping an eye on suspicious cars, loiterers etc, the baddies quickly realise that the community is involved and vigilant and that they may not get away with what they were planning to do.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123