Thread: The unintended security guard strike casualties.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

The unintended security guard strike casualties.

I was reading this story about the security guard strike. Glad to hear the police are trying to get the culprits for the murders that have gone with this horrendous strike action.

But it reminded me how my own staff have been impacted by this strike, despite the fact that we have nothing to do with the security industry. Apparently they have been threatened for going to work because they were mistaken for being security guards - they two in particular that have been affected tend to come to work in the company uniform.

I'm not aware of security companies that have similar kit to ours, but there you go. Wearing a uniform is enough to get you threatened, and by the looks of things these thugs are playing for keeps.

Thanks

Strike over

Well, according to the news the strike is over. Hopefully this does not mean stories like this are going to be ignored now.

Mfika owes his life to the R380 he had in his pocket last week when three armed men confronted him. While opening his Orlando, Soweto back yard shack after a long day at work, two of the men approached him and demanded to get in while the other stood guard.

Inside his one room shack, with two guns pointed at him, they demanded to know why he was working while they were on strike and told him they had come to "finish him off" as he was a gundwane (big rat).

Mfika pleaded with the men to accept the R380 transport money he had on him as he would never go back to work. The striking security guards started arguing among themselves.

"What do we tell them if we don't do it," demanded one still pointing his gun. It is not clear who "them" refers to.

(and more)

But most of the guards returning to work will have to look for new jobs. Some companies have had their contracts cancelled because of non-performance due to workers staying away and more expect to lose contracts as a result of the increase.

Francois Joubert, MD of Letaba Security in Polokwane, an employer of 150 guards expects to lose some of his contracts as a result of this wage increase. "Some of my clients have told me we will have to cancel their contracts if we implement this increment as they would not be able to cope."

The lowest paid of Jourbert's guards get a basic salary of R1 050 as he is in area five and can now look forward to an additional R97.12. That is if he still has a job.

Thanks
    These gaurds will have to work for 20yrs+ to make up the lost wages during the strike.
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    These gaurds will have to work for 20yrs+ to make up the lost wages during the strike.
    Closer to three years.... But still possibly the comment of the month

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Alcock
    Closer to three years....
    Messed up my maths. Of course there was an offer on the table - should base the recovery time on the difference.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.