Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cellphone/smart phone

Suspended
    Thanks

cellphone/smart phone

went and had a look at replacing my damaged cellphone...i am not fussy about make or model...considering my last one cost 250 bucks second hand and has served me well for a couple of years...but now i dropped it for the last time and the power on button broke off so thats it...cant switch it back on.

took one look at the stands with all the cellphones and thought maybe thats not a good idea because i dont know where to start...the only phone that appealed to me was i think the nokia e or n8 the one with the top that slides with a keypad and nice size buttons...which non of the other phones had they all had these little girly sized buttons...i would need to stick toothpicks onto my finger tips everytime i use the keypad... cost R6000... almost bought it but decided to rather hear what comments people have about the diffrent phones and why they selected the one they have...the fella in the shop said i should rather take the blackberry...but the buttons on the blacberry wher ealso those litlte girly ones with the screen that slides up.

then i stopped off at the cell c shop to pick up a 3 g high speed data stick....eeeish another R2999...that would have been a cool R9000 bucks on a cellphone and data stick...when i got home i thought maybe it is maybe a better idea to hear some comments first.

50% of the people i have spoken to say iphone and 50% blackberry nobody has recommended a nokia

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    And when you drop one of those...If I were you I would get a ruggedized phone that can take lots of punishment. I think it better to carry a Fluke around than a R10K state of the art scope! If you want more functionaly then buy a Netbook as well that you can leave in your bag.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have a Samsung i9000 Galaxy S Android based phone.

I am very happy with it. Integrates fully with Google so it gives me a central location to sync my contacts with and all my emails etc... (I route my other email addresses also through gmail to make it easier) Also gives me full sync function to my Gmail calender which is very handy on the go.

I belive you can also do this with most other types of phones.

Its has a full touch capacitive screen - very responsive and large, I think 3.7inch or 4inch with on screen buttons which are nice large (non girly) size

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am very happy with my Blackberry Bold. I hate SMS because the keyboards are always too small. But I find that the minute keys on the BB is actually easier to use than my old Nokia, because they are elevated. Beware of the cheaper BB's - I've heard lots of complaints. I suppose it's the same as with cars, the top of the range is always better.

Also look at the packages on offer. Prepaid vs contract etc. Depending on your own use the package (which includes a free phone) may work out cheaper. The package may also give you free internet or BB connectivity which makes it more cost effective.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    I use a nokia 5800 xpressmusic. It's awesome for the touch screen. It looks a bit cheap because of the plasticy feel, but it's rugged. I've dropped my phone a few times and it has always brushed that off.
    You keep speaking about features on phones but here's the real question:
    what do you want to do with the phone?
    Nokia has been the safe bet for generations, but their business model is beginning to show its age. I've spoken to plenty of people with blackberry issues, but BBM seems to make them glaze over that. Iphone is a market dominator but boy do they break and you're locked into getting everything from them. Samsung is flashy and stylish. They tend to focus on something and make it pretty impressive, but then the rest seems to suffer. LG normally focuses on a good phone camera.
    so yeah, what are you looking for?

Thanks
    It really depends on what you want from your phone. If it's to be used as just a phone and you want large buttons, but have a tendency to "drop" it now and again: Some quick Google search: http://reviews.cnet.com/rugged-cell-phones/

Those Sonim's are what the US army recommends for their troops. I just wonder why you'd want a phone which could do SMS's while you're deep-sea-diving!

If you want something which is a near PC in your pocket, then look at Smart-Phones. I'm not so happy with BlackBerries here, we've got endless problems with them connecting to our office's network - to the point where we now call them BumBerries! The iPhone's are working reasonably well, as do the Androids. If you want a Smart-Phone which you aren't scared of spilling your coffee on, perhaps the MotoDefy: http://www.techhuman.com/2011/04/rev...hower-sexting/
    http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/2...otorola+MB525/

As for Nokia, there's nothing "wrong" with them ... it's just a question of uncertainty as they're in the process of ditching their Symbian operating system for MS WinPho7. The "uncertainty" is that what's going to happen with a Symbian you buy now? And all Nokias use Symbian ... not just the "Smart-Phones". E.g. I had an E65 about a year ago ... when it decided for the 2nd time to blow it's battery in as many years. It was incredibly slow to start-up, or even just open the contacts list. It got me so P'ed off I threw the damded thing against a wall and decided to go with anything BUT Nokia. I bought myself a Motorola Milestone for around R3000 - has the on-screen keyboard same as all other touch-screens, but also a full qwerty sliding out to the side (much larger than the BB's - similar to what's on the Nokia C6). Though there's now the Milestone2 ... http://www.expansys.co.za/motorola-m...one-eu-203474/ ... not as cheap anymore, but still a bit less than an iPhone/Galaxy/Xperia!

As for Samsung, I really do think their looks are the best. Though a friend of mine is complaining about his Galaxy S turning itself off for no reason every now and again (but he's the only guy I've heard of with this complaint, perhaps he's just got a dud). Another guy I know is very happy with his Sony Xperia. As for iPhones, you should rather not ask me - I'm a bit against any company who tries to tell me what I'm allowed to do with something I bought! Other than that I can't say anything against them, for around the same prive as the Galaxy/Xperia you get something which is close to the same in functionality and ease of use - though I still think the extra keyboard on the Milestone puts that over the other 3 (not to mention even the M2 costs only around 2/3rds of the others' price).
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    my iPhone changed my life-and I'm an android fan! hectic!

Thanks
    I have been using Nokia for the past, say, 10 years now and I'm very happy with them. There has been times when I tried Samsung, Blackberry, Siemens and HTC, and none of them came close to the Nokia's ruggedness (I lost count of how many times I've dropped any phone) or usability. Nokia (or Symbian) is constant, so you can pretty much always take a new Nokia and use it without needing to learn a new rocket science course.

I use gmail, Skype, Opera Mini (for internet) and google maps on my Nokia E71.

IMO the only reason people rave about Blackberry's is cause they have free internet and BBM. If you look on the internet, and ask friends how many problems they have with BBM's in general you'll quickly see that it's not entirely the easiest phone to use.

The new Andriod OS is very powerful, but it takes a while to figure it out, and I would have loved if Nokia would offer Android on their phones but I guess my next phone will probably be a Samsung Galaxy S or something like that. With my big fingers I need a bigger phone than the BB's and HTC's if it's full touch screen.

The other main reason why I took the E71 is cause it has a full QWERTY keyboard and I can probably type 30 or 40 words/s on it
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have had Nokia my whole life, but changed this year to Blackberry Torch. Never looked back - my whole family have blackberry so we have groups wherby you can bbm the group and let them know you might be late or if you need to tell the whole family something and thie bbm is free. The internet connectivity is slightly slower than I would like, but is all inclusive and you know you are not going to get a high bill at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    ... There has been times when I tried Samsung, Blackberry, Siemens and HTC, and none of them came close to the Nokia's ruggedness (I lost count of how many times I've dropped any phone) or usability ...
    I've had the opposite with Nokia. I've had a 5110 and a 3210, supposedly "the best phones Nokia ever made" ... both of which broke like nobody's business. The 3210 also had bad battery life. Prior to that I had one of those Ericson bricks and a Philips Savvy ... nothing great about them. But the one which I have the most respect for: Siemens ME45. I generally work on building sites, so there's a lot of ruff-n-tumble around, this phone has dropped many a time (worst was from 5 floors up onto concrete - it only had a scratch and didn't even turn off). I've had it for 10 years, it's still my fall-back phone ... and I've used it many a time when that E65 of mine decided it wasn't in the "mood".

Thus far I haven't had the need to go scratch in my cupboard for that old phone again, the "Droid" hasn't given any problems yet (apart from me having it inside a leaking zip-lock while kayaking down the Orange. That killed the battery, but Motorola JHB gave me a new battery and the phone still works perfectly).

As for Nokia/Symbian staying "constant" ... are you sure:

Note how Nokia's shares plummeted after them announcing the move to WinPho7: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?...e=off;source=;

Hope (for their part) the $1bn made up for that!

So apparently they'll keep making Symbians for "a couple years" more, but only the low-end to mid-range phones - no more "Flagships", i.e. high-end-smart-phones. The 1st WinPho7 to come around the end of this year.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast