Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cellphone/smart phone

Thanks
    Wha-ha-haha! LMAO!

Today came into the office and 2 guys were pulling their hair out due to their phones!

No1: BB Bold. He wanted to "charge" it using his office PC. It WILL NOT charge until he's installed all the drivers and support software, which he doesn't want to do on this PC. Usually he brings his laptop for such things but today he didn't. The office PC must have as few CR@P and bloatware installed as possible so it can at least respond when you click on something. Yet another reason to call it a BumBerry.

No2: Sony/Ericson Xperia WinPho 6. Had message about available update, so plugged it into PC after downloading and installing the ENORMOUS update package (all of 200+ MB) - didn't want to download direct on the phone. First thing it did when he plugged in: Copied EVERY email in his Outlook onto the phone, without even asking him if he wanted that! Worst, he didn't even setup the phone with an email account, but still this happened without any user acknowledgement at all! So now! Doing the update in the on-screen-steps: 1. Plug in phone (OK unplug & plug back in, syncing emails and contacts again) ... found phone! 2. Click here to upload update (Ok, fine!) 3. Turn off phone and remove & re-insert battery (WTH? Do I need to unplug it? Well it's impossible to get at the battery without removing the cable, so probably yes!) 4. Turn phone back on: you should see the Sony logo appear ... uhm ... no it doesn't ... how long should I wait? Nothing happens on the phone! It's been 2 hours now!

Read step 5 so long: Plug phone into PC ... AHHH! So yes I should have unplugged it to remove the battery! So disconnect, redo the remove-reinsert-battery and turn on. No there's no Sony logo, the phone starts up normally and that email duplication is also still there! Anyhow, plug it back in - that "syncing emails" and contacts goes again! Yet the update package now does nothing! Just shows that it's waiting to connect to the phone! No-update at all!

So for my own I'd say: Stay away from M$ as far as you can. And if you want anything near a PC (but don't want it to require all sorts of BS), stay away from BB as well. That leaves Apple / Android ... hang-on, doesn't iPhone REQUIRE iTunes? Oh yes it does, so if you despise iTune-BS then stay away from the bitten fruit as well!

So back to Android, without anything installed on a clean Win7-64bit Pro. Plug in: Recognizes phone, can use it as external storage, it charges without needing any BS, can use it as a modem for internet connection. NO extra programs to install. Tried it again on Ubuntu, same thing: no cr@p needed!

And no, you don't need a GMail account to use Android. The other bloke with the Sony Xperia Android doesn't have gmail. A bit different when he wants an App from the market place - needs to download it through PC and save on phone's SD card, then install from there. Though I've later found out he could log into the Market using his facebook / youtube / etc. accounts.

Now please explain why anyone would still want the other SHT? Especially when they're usually lots more expense?

And the BBM? What? Have you ever heard of IM (like Yahoo, Google, Skype, AIM, Gadu-Gadu, ICQ, Meebo, MXit, Paltalk, etc.)? Some apps on the Android (and probably iPhone too) will allow you to connect through multiple IM services at once, automatically using the "correct" one for each contact you send the message to! Bulk/group IM? Well that's what personal chat-rooms are for! Create one for your family and friends, invite them and all the messages are shared to all linked to that room!

How's this "different" from BBM exactly? Cost? You sure? Do you know how much data a text message uses? You'd have to message the whole bible (monthly) before you make up the R75 BB surcharge for that "free connection" you're duped into.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (03-Aug-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have a blackberry torch 9800 and i am very happy with my phone. I use it mainly for emails and for the internet.
    I had a Curve 8520 and it gave a bit of hardware problems. I would recommend a blackberry with 3G, browsing the internet with the torch is a pleasure compared to the curve.
    A blackberry is feasible if you use it mainly for emailing and social networking.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Livespace View Post
    I would recommend a blackberry with 3G, browsing the internet with the torch is a pleasure compared to the curve.
    Another funny ! 3G is what my phone downgrades to when the signal is bad! It's usually running on HSUPA (i.e. 7 MB/s or higher: ~700 kBytes/sec) or in areas where this is not available then falls back on HSDPA (i.e. 3 - 4 MB/s: ~300 kBytes/sec), only rarely does it go to 3G (~350 kB/s - ~35kBytes/sec) or EDGE (~130 kB/s - ~13 kBytes/sec). It's only when I'm out in the bundu's where I've ever seen the GPRS thingy and I've got speeds like I had in the 80's with a dial-up!

I've heard that BB's are slow, but this is ridiculous! You mean you have to search for one which at least has some 10 year old technology built in? My Siemens Me45 had EDGE in 2000, so the "usual" BB is comparable to that?
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12