Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to be punctual every time

Thanks

How to be punctual every time

Why punctuality matters

Being on time matters for at least three primary reasons. For one thing, being punctual improves and maintains your professional image of success. You demonstrate to others that, come what may, you are prepared for anything.

They will say, "Wow--she's going places!" And it will be true since, as Louis Pasteur said, "fortune favors the prepared mind." On the other hand, arriving late to a meeting requires that you do so apologetically; you've already lost respect in the eyes of your colleagues.

Another reason why punctuality matters involves the positive influence punctuality has on the people around you. For instance, an hour of time is wasted when you are 15 minutes late for four appointments. At best, you likely will annoy the person(s) waiting for you to appear. At worst, you will lose precious time and waste valuable resources--perhaps especially money.

Yet another reason to be punctual every time is that you develop the invaluable character trait of being reliable. Being reliable means respecting the agendas of other people. It also means respecting yourself enough to be where you say you will be at the time you say you will be there. See the running theme? Reliable people are so respected because the people around them come to know that they should be taken seriously.

Ways to stop being late

Reversing chronic lateness need not be difficult. In fact, you can apply three punctuality principles to your life right now! First, accept the brutal fact that no timetable is ideal. Why not? Because unexpected events occur. Traffic accidents cause unexpected delays. Traveling to the wrong address for a meeting--even if no fault of your own--causes unexpected delays. Disabled alarm clocks, noisy pets, coffee spills, difficult children, lost keys--all cause unexpected delays. The only way to decrease the chance of such unexpected delays from becoming excuses is to stop making plans based on the ideal day. Plan your day with a reasonable number of activities. If there is any doubt that you cannot complete an activity, then don't do it. Reschedule.

Please, let me know what do you think!

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Reliability!

In addition, people might not refer you to other potential clients based on this!

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is not one of my strong points...since i started working 30 years ago...i am still late for everything...my wife says i am gona be late for my funeral(i dont have a problem with that)...my customers know me for this but they also know that when i start doing something it will be done to the best of my ability and sometimes i take a little longer than expected...so when i am late at tleast they know i wont rush off to another job or meeting until their job is completed.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Are these your regular customers that know you and your quality well?

I guess if you explain yourself in a good way in certain situations it can be to your advantage.

From my experience with corporate senior level guys, they generally like you to be on time...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Murdock on this (phew, thank goodness I'm not alone!). I really WISH I could be punctual all the time. I agree, it gives a level of professionalism, it shows you are trustworthy and reliable, you don't waste anyone's time, etc etc. And in fact, to make matters much worse, I expect punctuality from everyone else in my business! Yeah, I know, double standards! But I reckon, since I cannot be on time, I need the rest of my staff to make up for it.

Unfortunately though, punctuality will not be one of my virtues for a couple of years to come.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Mirelle. In Spain they say manjana. In Africa we have the same lax attitude towards punctuality where being late seems to be a general problem.

I often attend training seminars where people arrive up to an hour late. (always the same people). So you have missed an hour of training, information, interaction etc. No wonder you are disadvantaged!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The wonderful thing about leaving early enough to make an appointment with time to spare is the lack of stress. Well worth the effort.

I.m.o. it all comes down to good planning. And if you have problems planning and managing your own schedule, I have deep reservations about how you might manage my problem that I'm thinking of delegating to you to solve.

If things go wrong and you are going to be late, so be it - just let me know. The unexpected does happen and it would be unfair for me to hold that against you. However, the unexpected does not occur on a regular basis; if it happens regularly it should have been anticipated...

Thanks
    The best way to be punctual? Be 10 minutes early at everything. Hate tight schedules. Say 'no' to avoidable tasks. Try to use a task management solution to stay always organized Does anybody do it? ))

9. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (27-Jul-11)

Thanks
    Turning up 5 mins early always bodes well, but if you’re going to be late-have a confident and excellent reason...

11. Thanks given for this post:

Mirelle (25-Aug-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Being punctual says something about you. It is more professional and reduces stress. Being late shows that you are disorganised and have little respect for the people you are dealing with.

Maybe we should not be so accommodating when people arrive late. It is hugely embarrassing when your president arrives 2 hours late for lunch with a foreign head of state!

I walk out after 15 - 20 minutes if a confirmed appointment is not kept, even at the doctor - unless I am informed that there is some kind of emergency. If I don't adapt this attitude, I may be late for my next appointment and it also makes a statement to the party that is late.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast