Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DOL says AIA are legal

Suspended
    Thanks

DOL says AIA are legal

cool...did the DOL realise they would actually have to do some work...get up to speed with regulation and would have a massive job trying to police the electrical industry (anyone know if the chief inspector has any qualifications?)...so rather just palm it off onto private companies...you got to love the way the goverment creates employment.

SO who do we contact in duban.....aaaaaaaaah...oooh we dont actually have anyone in durban or in many other parts of the country...ooops...we didnt think that far...didnt realise this was also gona involve some thought and actually have to do some work.

but its ok we have managed without them for all this time...there arent that many deaths electriciution and fires who cares insurance pays out...

Thanks
    Mooi gese!
    No responsibility whatsoever.
    As you say, We'll keep it safe for as long as possible.

Thanks
    According the the AIA in Joburg it is only there and Cape Town with AIA's. Could have something to do with the fact that there is more money to be had working as a Contractor.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Could have something to do with the fact that there is more money to be had working as a Contractor.
    Between that and the red tape, perhaps. It just doesn't seem to be commercially viable in most centres.

Suspended
    Thanks
    and thats the problem right there...as soon as you add the word money making it becomes a problem...who is gona pay the AIA for their work...the department of labour must step up and take on their responsibility...if they cant take on this task ...nobody will ever be able to...so no matter how many carte blanche clips there are...why dont they contract the police department out to private companies...for the same reason...you cannot have private individuals controlling the industry.

i am however pleased to announce that i have been working in the richards bay area and found where the DOL hang out...boy in that place you have to spend 3-4 days just getting medicals...health and safety...induction courses completed before they even allow you access to the sites...and each site has its own induction...and once on site have to do risk assesments for everything before you processd with any form of work...and i mean anything...why because enough people die at work there to warrant it...i can only assume places like durban dont have enough fatalities to warrant their presence...this could be why they dont bother with AIAs either.

Thanks
    The AIA charge R600 per inspection. If all the guys issuing invalid COCs' were reported and the people prepared to pay there would be enough money to be made as an AIA. If I were on the doorstep of retiring I would certainly consider it. Only inspections, no work. My heart,lungs and lnees would like that.
    The public need to be made more aware of the consequences and risks of an invalid COC. They must start attacking the guilty party, not the industry. At the end of the day they will be able to claim it back anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    The AIA charge R600 per inspection.
    So how many can you handle a day? Particularly when you bear in mind each case is not just the inspection - it's the paperwork and slanging match that comes with it.

Thanks
    To supplement your pension, one a day is enough.

Suspended
    Thanks
    R600 for what type of inspection...a 1 bedroom granny cottage?

Thanks
    Apparently all that is required is to gain enough evidence to prove that the jerk who signed off the job should not have done it. Neither the AIA nor DOL did a complete or thorough inspection. They just gathered enough evidence to stand in court with their photos and say here is the proof, the COC is invalid. The jerk still has a week if they sent him his letter last week. We have heard nothing from him yet. I sure as hell hope DOL and AIA realise that I will not be letting this guy off the hook. The industry needs an example, especially after the Carte Blanche fiasco.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast