Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DOL says AIA are legal

Suspended
    Thanks
    so you are saying the DOL and the AIA came to check the installation....

Thanks
    Yes, I contacted DOL (Isaac) and he gave me the AIA's contact details. I phoned Mark Palmer and he sent out an inspector (Warren). After Warren did the cursory inspection, I notified Isaac that they had been there. He then personally brought his own inspector who also did a cursory inspection. They satisfied themselves that they had collected sufficient evidence that the COC is invalid and informed me that they are obligated to give Volta Electrical 14 days in which to bring the installation up to standard. Mr Bornman of Volta Electrical has made no attempt to contact myself or my nephew, the new owner.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Apparently all that is required is to gain enough evidence to prove that the jerk who signed off the job should not have done it. Neither the AIA nor DOL did a complete or thorough inspection. They just gathered enough evidence to stand in court with their photos and say here is the proof, the COC is invalid. The jerk still has a week if they sent him his letter last week. We have heard nothing from him yet. I sure as hell hope DOL and AIA realise that I will not be letting this guy off the hook. The industry needs an example, especially after the Carte Blanche fiasco.
    If this is Mr Jan Bornman u r ranting about......sheesh... i dont know. he has been in business for 30 years plus and is highly reccomended? surely there are two sides to a story? or are u maybe a little biased because it is a nephew?

just a word of advice, i can find fault at ANY installation no matter how good u think you are. was this a "fault finding" session or did jan genuinly slip up?

Suspended
    Thanks
    sparks why dont you start a thread and give us more details so we can see for ourselves if you are being bias or not...

an inspection report

some photos

and adam can send a link to jan so that he can defend himself.

Thanks
    Somehow I think Adam has someone else in mind. The original thread is at : http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...COC?highlight=
    There are 2 photos and a copy of the COC with inspection report.
    As for the bias, I have at the cost of my business assisted a number of potential clients to get invalid COCs' rectified.
    I gave Mr Bornman the opportunity to do the right thing and because he did not come to the party decided to go to Joburg & get something done. Once there I arranged for him to come onto site. On his arrival I was in the kitchen. I kept a low profile while my nephew pointed out some obvious contraventions. When Mr Bornman turned around and asked my nephew "is the power tripping? Say what YOU want me to fix then I will see", I walked up to him and introduced myself. I informed him that would be unacceptable as my nephew is not a qualified electrician. I then told him that he needed to do a complete inspection and rectify all the faults. After some heated discussion he agreed to do the inspection. The day of the appointment for the inspection came and went. When I called him to reschedule he told me to go ahead and do what I want to, he is not interested in the installation. His inspection fee was R350 and his "repairs" were about R1200 if I recall correctly. If anyone can look at the COC he issued and find no fault then I sincerely hope they are not issueing COCs'.

Thanks
    My apologies to you. I had the wrong wire. I did not mean any disrespect. I cannot believe that a 30 years+ expierence person in the trade can slip up THAT bad. I think some staff did the inspection and dropped the ball. Jan should pick it up if this was the case.

ps. i see the coc was issued for the "existing installation" and not any new wiring that was done? In court this simple tick has a "LOT of substance, believe me. Lawyers play it by the book, word for word, ang judges judge accordingly. Also, where is the "existing certificate" I see he indicates that there is one. This can complicated, fast and furious quickly.

On word on the "geia" and its accomplices. They ALWAYS find fault. corrupt to the bone.

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is one of the reason i do spot checks on any person who is working under my company banner...be it a safety issue os a shody workmanship issue...there is no excuse for a company just turning around and saying it must have been my staff or sub contractors fault...the way i see it if you cant even control the safety and quality of workmanship in your own company how do you expect the DOL or AIA or any other person for that matter...and if you as the owner cannot control it then you should employ a supervisor who reports to you.

Thanks
    The bottom line is that Mr Bornman signed the COC. At the time of ihs "inspection" the "existing" wiring was ALL the wiring connected to the supply. The "original" installation with ALL subsecquent additions to that installation. The reason why the "existing" installation option is on the COC is so that when an addition is made to an installation, the "addition" can be certified seperately. The COC reads "existing" NOT "original".
    Murdoch you are 100% correct and if they cannot afford to send a suitably qualified guy to do it they must do it themselves. And if someone else checks then that person should sign the COC.
    For crying out loud it is your signature on the thing, how can you sign off something you have not even seen?
    As for the "existing" COC, besides mention that there is not one and then again supplying details of one, I have no clue. It was not given to my nephew as should have been had it existed.
    The DOL and Geia AIA did what I wanted so far. They came to site and gathered evidence. I have more expectations which take some time. The process must run it's course. I will wait for the time to lapse and then see what happens. What Mr Bornman must know is that this will not just dissappear. Any other person who works the same must also know that should I come across his work the same will happen. Was it an honest mistake? I think not. I gave hime ample time to rectify it and DOL have given him another two weeks. There are people's lives at stake. Our industry has a bad enough reputation as it is. We need to clean it up.

Thanks
    Good luck.

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is one of the main reasons that...the industry is the state it is...90 % of the investigation are swept under the table because the customer couldnt be bothered with the hassles...but there is a catch...now when your customer decides to move it then becomes your problem...because they turn around and say..."but you have been my electrician for the last 2 years why didnt you fix the problems"...i just laugh and send them a qualote to sort out the repairs...been down that road tooo many times to let it bother me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast