Thread: Taking Pride in Your Work

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Taking Pride in Your Work

Good Morning Everyone

I came across this video by chance. Something that really stands out to me is how much pride Mr. Mizuno takes in his work.

Just imagine how awesome the world would've been if everyone else also had that attitude.

"Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (14-Jul-11)

Suspended
    Thanks
    we do...you must be dealing with the wrong people...you get what you pay for...you buy cheap you get a figo...you spend the money you get a nissan GT- R...not always the contractor who is the problem..you pay peanuts you get mokeys.

i always tell my customers...i can do "anything"...you just need to be prepared to pay for it.

just an example of one of many small things we do...we use rubber mats on surfaces before we put our tools..how many artisans do you see doing that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    i always tell my customers...i can do "anything"...you just need to be prepared to pay for it.

just an example of one of many small things we do...we use rubber mats on surfaces before we put our tools..how many artisans do you see doing that?
    Yes we do have.

Normally, we would think whether we can take pride in our working is related on our job-social-status.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    we do...you must be dealing with the wrong people...you get what you pay for...you buy cheap you get a figo...you spend the money you get a nissan GT- R...
    Indeed, in terms of materials, you get what you pay for. Pride does not amount to cost though; if you take a Figo to a mechanic for a service, he can take just as much pride in his work as Mr. Mizuno from Nissan, even though a Figo costs a fraction of a GT-R. He won't turn the Figo into a super car, of course, but he can go through the trouble of wiping off oil stains, cleaning the engine and stand next to the car (smiling and beaming with pride) and say "Sir, I fixed her up good!" when you pick it up after the service.

...you pay peanuts you get mokeys.
    What a great way to put it! I should remember this.

That is very considerate, and I would say that it amounts to taking pride in your work. Surely you don't charge extra for putting down rubber mats before your put down your tools - so again, "pride" does not always have to have a monetary value.
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Suspended
    Thanks
    i do agree with you...it not a monetary issue...taking the extra 2 minutes to make sure the pipe is straight cost nothing...and people do notice it...you either take pride in your work or you dont...watching one of the programs...where the boss goes into the work place under cover to work with the people on the ground ...there were some good examples of people who took pride in their jobs.

7. Thanks given for this post:

rfnel (16-Jul-11)