Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Earth Leakage issue

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Strange Earth Leakage issue

Hi Fellow Electricians, I need some advice with an issue I've never encountered before.
    The customer is building an addition to his out building requested that the sub db have it's own earth leakage and taken off from the earth leakage in the main db at the house. So we did this. This sub db has 5 plugs and 3 lights and a swimming pool db. the lights are not on earth leakage. so this is where it gets interesting. When we switched the power on the lights, plugs and pool was working fine until a couple minutes later, the earth leakage in the sub db tripped. The time it takes to trip varies and when I Meggered each circuit between live/neutral/earth, I did not pick up any fault. It sometimes trippes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 20minutes. It seems to happen when the pool is running as nothing else is plugged in. But when I bypassed the earth leakage in the sub db and put the supply cable to the sub db back on to earth leakage at the main db and funny enough, it never tripped out again. the house earth leakage trippes on 20mA with the plug tester and the one I had in the Sub DB tripped at 30mA and I also changed the earth leakage twice. Any Advice on why it trippes at the sub db's earth leakage and not on the earth leakage at the main db in the house?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A neutral connection problem?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    How so?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If the Neutral is not correctly wired in the secondary DB, any current flow will be unbalanced and the ELB will trip.
    Alternatively there is a Neutral to earth fault some where, which will also cause an earth fault. This fault could be due to humidity or insects
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    A crossed nuetral will usually cause an immediate RCD trip. With a fault that takes a few minutes to trip you're better monitoring the leakage over time with an earth leakage clamp meter clamped around the L+N simultaneously. This has the advantage of letting you run everything and monitor the leakage under normal operating conditions rather than the megger which gives a result whilst nothing is running.

6. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (27-Jul-14)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    That's an interesting point. I googled this tester and will get it and try it out. Thanx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    The customer is building an addition to his out building requested that the sub db have it's own earth leakage and taken off from the earth leakage in the main db at the house.
    Just a quick question with the above statement... Is the sub db's supply cable taken from above or below the main db's earth leakage?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    It was taken above the earth leakage of the main DB and was put back under the earth leakage in the main db and then the earth leakage stopped tripping

Email problem
    Thanks
    i also think its an incorrect neutral connection in the sub db. when you reconnected the sub db to the earth leakage relay in the main db and bypassed it in the sub db,then there is no more neutral fault in the sub db as both neutral bars (in the sub db) become one.
    also i have found it when i have made that same mistake i have tested with the plug tester ,the earth leakage relay trips fine,but once you plug in a load the e/l trips.
    willing to wager

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    The supply cable is not on earth leakage at the main db and also not on the sub db. If there was a neutral fault on the circuit the earth leakage would trip as soon as it carries load. It's not tripping as soon as there's load but trips in a couple of minutes, always different times. A neutral fault does operate like this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast