Thread: low voltage systems and COC'S

Bronze Member
    Thanks

low voltage systems and COC'S

Hi guys, can any one tell me what to do when a coc has to be done on a coc has110V a.c and d.c system, it's a couple of plc's that he had to be installed but i told my boss that the coc doesn't cover control circuits - he didn't like that. But this made me wonder, where would you do a coc for a low voltage system? What works from a 50V - 120V system except lights which is covered by sans 10142 cause plc's aren't or can it be covered up until the point of control the plc's can switched off?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    Hi guys, can any one tell me what to do when a coc has to be done on a coc has110V a.c and d.c system, it's a couple of plc's that he had to be installed but i told my boss that the coc doesn't cover control circuits - he didn't like that. But this made me wonder, where would you do a coc for a low voltage system? What works from a 50V - 120V system except lights which is covered by sans 10142 cause plc's aren't or can it be covered up until the point of control the plc's can switched off?
    SANS used to quote that it covered voltages from 50Vac upwards to 1000Vac. This has been removed from the regulations and SANS now states "circuits supplied at nominal voltages up to and including 1000Vac" so now SANS will cover 50Vac.

In the past I have questioned the ECB regarding the subject of machinery control circuits etc and was told that as you have previously stated its up to the point of control. However, it is very often the case that customers seem to think that they need a COC on the entire installation including control circuits etc.

I know some electricians issue COC's as stated above just to keep everyone happy. It would be interesting to hear from others what is the legal requirements etc.