Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apps for electrical industry

Thanks

Apps for electrical industry

Well I've finally caved in and stared using one of the new phones that have been sitting in my office drawer. The jury is still out one whether I'll go the distance with it but I guess time will tell. It's a Samsung Galaxy phone and I wondered if any of the sparkies on the forum have come across any apps that are actually useful and might save time.

I have great reservations about using apps for design work in the first place, I don't like the fact you just have to hope they're accurate because there doesn't seem to be any recognised body verifying them. What do you guys think? Do you use apps? Do you trust them?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Apps for what purpose?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Best app is the flash light app. Switch it on and use the camera to see into tight spaces. Other than that....

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have a couple of free apps that I use very often:
    1. A HP48 calculator. (Droid 48) I am quite certain that you can load an electrical library into it. (There are many different HP emulators available)
    2. A unit conversion calculator. (Metrics Conversion)
    3. An application stats shows the strength and channel of nearby WiFi networks. (Wifi Analyzer) This product is a Godsend because it allows you to see whether you and your neighbours are on the same channel. Great for fault finding.
    4. An app that allows me to run several down count timers simultaneously. (Timer) It is great for running various timed processes simultaneously but autonomously from one another. We sometimes run large repetitive jobs on both lasers and the timers are used to which machine needs attention next.
    5. And yes, the flashlight (Flashlight)

I use many more apps but another very useful feature is to have a decent PDF reader and to keep manuals available. Ok, I am not n contractor so I don't know what you need to have at hand but I am sure that there are lots of reference material that could be handy. And then of course there are some very clever "to do list" type tools etc.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i havent seen any good design apps,but i have some useful free apps:

remote controls for the tv,hi fi,decoders and car radio. i also play music via bluetooth from the phone to the car radio,which works very well.
    app to control my gopro camera.
    i cant do without whatsapp.

i have a navionics app which i use on boats as a gps chart plotter. works great but you pay R 368 for it.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i forgot to add an app which i dont have. you can buy a dongle for a few hundred rands,plug it into your cars computer plug. leave it there permanently and it transmits to your phone all the engine real time engine readings such as different temperatures,oil pressure ,ambient pressure,exhaust gas temperature etc

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bergie View Post
    i forgot to add an app which i dont have. you can buy a dongle for a few hundred rands,plug it into your cars computer plug. leave it there permanently and it transmits to your phone all the engine real time engine readings such as different temperatures,oil pressure ,ambient pressure,exhaust gas temperature etc
    Provided that your car is perfectly ODBII compliant...

There are many wonderful Apps, I have one that gives me total remote control and live remote view of my Canon camera. I have another that gives me total control over my model train DCC layout via Wifi

Thanks
    Wifi file transfer to transfer those photos onto your computer via a browser.
    Then I use Waze for navigation it shows reported accidents on your proposed route.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    I was originally thinking about apps aimed at sparkies for electrical design such as an app for cable sizing where you input length, method of installation, load, allowable volt-drop etc and it calculates the correct cable size without you having to go through the usual tables in the regs book. There's also a containment sizing app that you can input the number of wires and cables you're running and it works out the correct conduit or trunking size with the correct amont of free air space. Another one I came across works out if a given enclosure has sufficient heat dissipation capabilities for the components you're going to install and if not it can work out required ventilation and suggest the correct sized ventilation fan required.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Apps I use are "Tune Up" ...... you can listen to any radio station or music in the world - you can pick 80's or your choice. I also use a Handy level ..... its very accurate. And a distance app - it measures any distance you would like, if you go walking or riding etc. The most used app is go maps - I don t know how garmin survive anymore with all the smart phones have GPS's in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast