Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: open wiring

Suspended
    Thanks

open wiring

what are your thoughts on the short piece of exposed wire between the pipe and the ceiling board feeding lights...i believe this is such a trivial thing and should not be regarded as a fault which will stop the issuing of a coc...so long as the joint is not done in the roof space.

Thanks
    I agree, what I do, if the wires are more than a few inches, is to use a piece of PVC spragging. A slit down the side & clipped over the wires takes only a moment. My freebie for the day.

Suspended
    Thanks
    what makes putting a piece od slit sprag over the wires any better?

is it to protect the wire is so...from what.

if it is to stop the dust and miggies getting in...that is hardly a solution.

and lastly what is the difference between a piece of house wire covered in a braid like sleeve laying in the roof and a piece of wire between a pipe and hole in the ceiling?

Thanks
    Dust & miggies won't harm the wire like rats. The sprag will afford some protection. Extending the conduit & fitting a bend & junction box will cost more than the public are prepared to pay. With the joint below the ceiling all service personel are protected against shock.
    Alternatively a through box with a piece of surfix would be acceptable, but I still prefer the sprag because the rat will get tired of the plastic before getting to the conductors as opposed to T&E.

Thanks
    A one way pvc box allso works well, most domestic light fitings holes line up with the box holes, and fix with 2 m5's. Open conections in the light fitting itself are acceptable.
    I use the Hellerman Tyton scotch lock, where you just skin and push in, very conviniant with short ends and hard to reach applications, however not sure if they are compliant.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Dust & miggies won't harm the wire like rats. The sprag will afford some protection. Extending the conduit & fitting a bend & junction box will cost more than the public are prepared to pay. With the joint below the ceiling all service personel are protected against shock.
    Alternatively a through box with a piece of surfix would be acceptable, but I still prefer the sprag because the rat will get tired of the plastic before getting to the conductors as opposed to T&E.
    what if your house has T&E and rats?

Thanks
    Precisely why I use conduit for new installations. The guy selling his house is going to go with the lowest quote to bring his mess to standard though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN 810 View Post
    I use the Hellerman Tyton scotch lock, where you just skin and push in, very conviniant with short ends and hard to reach applications, however not sure if they are compliant.
    If scotch lock's are what I think they are then they're for telephone wires only. They're not rated for 220v nor are they current rated.

I'm guessing you mean these things...?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled1.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	2087

Thanks
    Scotch-locks is the name given for a number of quick couplers. The ones' telkom use are round and can only be used for 2 wires up to 1mm. The scotch locks referred to are a great product from Hellerman Tyton for connecting solid wires like T&E or Surfix up to 2.5mm. They do indeed comply with the requirements for connectors, but must still be enclosed in a junction box. An excellent replacement for screw connectors. They come in 2/3/4/5/6 and 8way blocks which are colour coded. Unfortunately they are scarce in PE, but whenever I can get my hands on some I load up with them. They are multi spring loaded and once used cannot be re-used.

Thanks
    I think I'm confused by the trade names. I would call what you're describing 'Wago's' link. Can you link to the item you describe?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast