Thread: How do I obtain a business tax reference no?

Silver Member
    Thanks

How do I obtain a business tax reference no?

Hi,

How do I go about obtaining a business' tax reference number? For example for a shelf company (when a company is registered, it is automatically registered for income tax...)

Thanks!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I would have thought the company who sold you the shelf company would have provided you with that information. If not, then you'll need to spend some time on the phone to the SARS call centre. I'm pretty sure they will supply you with that documentation.

Thanks
    Most of the times you will have to register the company with sars, you can go onto their website and complete an IT77c and sumbit it to a branch with the supporting documents.
    Geraldene Kapp
    Professional Tax Help
    www.mytaxhelp.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I was under the impression that companies are registered for tax automatically when they are registered as companies...

Thank you for the replies!

Thanks
    Some entities are automatically registered while some are not. Just visit your nearest SARS branch with the Form IT77(c) and supporting documents.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsmit View Post
    Some entities are automatically registered while some are not. Just visit your nearest SARS branch with the Form IT77(c) and supporting documents.
    That amazes me. How could that possibly happen, and yet as you say it does indeed.

The only thing you should look out for is something that happened to me a few years back when we thought there was no number and so resgistered one. Then a few years later SARS found the original and now we had two tax numbers. Now you have the hassle of getting rid of one. What a pain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    That amazes me. How could that possibly happen, and yet as you say it does indeed.

The only thing you should look out for is something that happened to me a few years back when we thought there was no number and so resgistered one. Then a few years later SARS found the original and now we had two tax numbers. Now you have the hassle of getting rid of one. What a pain.
    True - so I would suggest you call SARS (think their number is: 0800 00 7277) and ask them to check if your business is not yet registered prior to registering again...

I was wondering - how do you get rid of a duplicate tax number?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I think we managed it, although perhaps we haven't and it'll come back to bite us in future years.

We simply sent them a letter explaining the two tax numbers, together with the duplicate tax return. It took a few attempts, but after a while the tax returns for the second number stopped coming and this was when they still sent them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a similar experience to BusFact, except it was being registered twice for Workmans Compensation. It took two notices to them (much like anything else to get WC to do anything), but it got sorted out eventually.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well we had a problem with two tax numbers, except is was the taxpayer who caused it. He had a tax liability on the one number, then he "received" another number which we processed his returns on (as he was a new client and SARS verified that this was his IT #). He received all his refunds on the new number and then 3 years later he got a summons for the outstanding tax on the old number. We investigated and found out the real facts. He knew exactly what happened and played dumb. I just got SARS to transfer the liability to the new tax number and deactivated the old one. Fair is fair and everyone must pay their share. Needless to say he is no longer a client as we resigned! We have to bring back integrity in our field once more!