Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a catch in MWEB's new deal?

Thanks

Is there a catch in MWEB's new deal?

MWEB is offering 200GB capped + uncapped night (12am - 8am) broadband for R199/month. (https://www.mweb.co.za/internet-conn...sl-august-2016)
    This includes a free Fon enabled router valued at R799. Fon creates a Wifi hotspot that doesn't use your quota.
    Is anyone using this already? Is there a catch I'm missing?
    Love to hear feedback or your thoughts on this.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I had a contract with mweb once. Also capped and uncapped ........ terrible speeds. They blamed Telkom and Telkom blamed them. And then come time to cancel it took 6 months of continuous fighting and being put from department to department .......... The debit order never stopped. I now have Telkom LTE - 50gigs plus 50 gigs nighttime. - R699 - speeds up to 40mbs And the nice thing about it - totally wireless

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    I had a contract with mweb once. Also capped and uncapped ........ terrible speeds. They blamed Telkom and Telkom blamed them. And then come time to cancel it took 6 months of continuous fighting and being put from department to department .......... The debit order never stopped. I now have Telkom LTE - 50gigs plus 50 gigs nighttime. - R699 - speeds up to 40mbs And the nice thing about it - totally wireless
    Hi HR

I am going to Telkom to get that exact product tomorrow.
    I have heard that they do throttle the speed if you use too much, have you experienced this?
    You miss 100% of the chances you never take

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have not experienced that - the speeds are normally between 15 to 40 mps. I have never used it all. Just check the coverage map first.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplosiv View Post
    Is there a catch I'm missing?
    Well here's the fine print -

*Night time data period is 00:00 to 08:00 daily. Usage over your night time data and standard data allocation may attract usage charges depending on your billing plan.
    **FREE ADSL router to the value of R799 includes delivery and is subject to a 12 month contract on the ADSL product. If you cancel your ADSL product or downgrade to an excluded product within 12 months, you will be charged early cancellation penalties as well as the value of the router at the time of cancellation. Non-activation of the Fon service within 60 days will result in you being charged the full cost of R799 for the router. Offer is subject to credit vetting and excludes 1GB, 2GB, 5GB, 1Mbps & 2Mbps Uncapped ADSL products. Offer valid while stocks last. This promotion is available for new customers only.

For me the potential snag is it locks me into a 12 month contract for an ADSL when I've got fibre that has just sprouted on the verge.
    And I didn't see anything in there that talks to the line rental charge...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Well here's the fine print -

*Night time data period is 00:00 to 08:00 daily. Usage over your night time data and standard data allocation may attract usage charges depending on your billing plan.
    **FREE ADSL router to the value of R799 includes delivery and is subject to a 12 month contract on the ADSL product. If you cancel your ADSL product or downgrade to an excluded product within 12 months, you will be charged early cancellation penalties as well as the value of the router at the time of cancellation. Non-activation of the Fon service within 60 days will result in you being charged the full cost of R799 for the router. Offer is subject to credit vetting and excludes 1GB, 2GB, 5GB, 1Mbps & 2Mbps Uncapped ADSL products. Offer valid while stocks last. This promotion is available for new customers only.

For me the potential snag is it locks me into a 12 month contract for an ADSL when I've got fibre that has just sprouted on the verge.
    Thanks Dave
    Unfortunately ADSL is my only real option at the moment - it isn't economically viable to run fibre to our town and the wireless services here are a bit on the dodgy side.
    The R199 is just for the package, there is a different price if one requires an ADSL line.
    I'm currently on a 4Mbps line and capped at 40GB with Telkom and wondering if it's worth the move.
    I know 4Mbps is not fast, but I've heard some horror stories about line speeds with MWEB.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes this is the only 12 month contract I have - but `I've never looked back and
    there is no rental charge - you pay R699 per month (perhaps its gone up to R799 now)

In my area I tried everything incl telkom line to burst to cell c to vodacom to nestle and NOTHING worked.
    I was very chuffed with LTE when it proved itself

Thanks
    Yes this is the only 12 month contract I have - but `I've never looked back and
    there is no rental charge - you pay R699 per month (perhaps its gone up to R799 now)

In my area I tried everything incl telkom line to burst to cell c to vodacom to nestle and NOTHING worked.
    I was very chuffed with LTE when it proved itself
    Also no LTE coverage for me.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xplosiv View Post
    Also no LTE coverage for me.

Ah .... ok that answers that one. What about 3G ?
    If you don't have Telkom LTE - you might have one of the others LTE ....

Thanks
    Ah .... ok that answers that one. What about 3G ?
    If you don't have Telkom LTE - you might have one of the others LTE ....
    I'm in the sticks. There is a 3G tower, but I swear if the wind blows from the wrong direction I drop to Edge. (At least that's what I see on my phone when I'm not using WiFi, not really sure it's the wind - could be a fat pigeon sitting on the mast.)
    Like I said, ADSL is my only real option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast