Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Act 1. Scene 1. Take 3 - My website

Thanks

Act 1. Scene 1. Take 3 - My website

Hi there.

I want your opinion on my website/business. Some of you might have seen it a few weeks ago and I want to hear from you especially.

Thats it.

Thanks

www.aisle5.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trying to remember what it looked like last time I was there.

It certainly didn't have that colour scheme - Did you just reskin it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Trying to remember what it looked like last time I was there.

It certainly didn't have that colour scheme - Did you just reskin it?
    Good, glad you can't remember how it looked, it bugged me.

Yeah I reskinned it and changed the structure and menu layout. I need to find a better solution still for the frontpage cause I have quite a few modules that needs to be loaded, which also slows the overall loading speed.

And I moved to a local server, it was during this move that I played and then committed to the new look and feel.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ... and content? I didn't look around much, but what I saw still seemed pretty light.

Styling a site is a funny thing and I wouldn't get too hung up on it for now.

I think it takes a while to settle to something you're really happy with. I reworked TFSA many times with 3 major style changes in the first 2 years. Even now I find the odd thing that could do with a tweak.

I reckon at start-up, once you get something functional going, work like heck on content. You can always come back to styling once you've got some meaningful content going.
    Last edited by Dave A; 03-Oct-10 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    For my site and service styling runs hand in hand with functionality. Although the look is second to function. The new style allows for better function funny enough. The upgraded site I am working on (not actively, off and on since the software is totally different) focusses a lot more on function.

Regarding content, I posted my conundrum here
    http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...ead.php?t=8238

I have as much content on it as I think I can put on it, the rest is now up to customer participation. The strength of my service is only as strong as the participation of the business sector.

If there is content to be added I'm all ears. I provide a platform for content so to speak.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now that I've taken a good look around, and reading your about Aisle 5 page, I'm more than a little concerned about aspects of your business plan.

For example, how do you plan to track stock availability at stores?

7. Thanks given for this post:

Inprogress (04-Oct-10)

Thanks

Web Site Critique

It took me a while to figure out that the annoying flashing advert in the top right hand side, was actually telling me about the web site and not advertising something else.

You need to make it more obvious what your site is about.
    Hope this helps you

Regards
    Michael Vella
    Web Presence Solutions - www.solutionsweb.co.za

9. Thanks given for this post:

Inprogress (04-Oct-10)

Thanks
    It works like this. You got a business selling Motorcycle gear. You register and upload your products. You keep them updated regarding stock availability. Aisle five allows you to place your products online for your customers.

Its a service you supply your customers where you allow them to see what is in your store. I provide the platform and improve it in functionality, you the business owner provide the information.

It allows the consumer to go to one place to find the products that they require. The service is their for the consumer. It allows me to find the product I am looking for online, however the products isn't from a online business, they are from the business in my town.

That's one of the problems at the moment, when I need to explain what this is I still struggle to carry the message. Its a service you provide your customers by allowing them into your store via the internet, but it is not about online shopping. Like I try to explain on the site, its a product-business index. It applies to your location just like a normal business index does, however it differs in terms of approach. You find the product first.

And its a platform for the business. It gives them online presence without the need to own a website and the accompanying challenges that associates with a website like SEO. See Aisle five as the intermediate step between the pre-internet business days, and the future full online business future.

I can go on-and-on trying to explain the concept with numerous examples of where business websites fail me, and where business indexes fail me, the consumer.

But first Dave A, do you grasp the concept of the business? (not being rude, just concerned that I am not conveying the concept clearly).

I see that I should re-edit my about page to include an overview for business owners. And I should stop with the long posts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by solweb View Post
    It took me a while to figure out that the annoying flashing advert in the top right hand side, was actually telling me about the web site and not advertising something else.

You need to make it more obvious what your site is about.
    Hope this helps you

Regards
    That annoying flashing advert was my attempt to give the visitor a nutshell idea of what the site is about . On my previous layout I had "quotes" inserted on the front page to try and convey the message.

Like I mentioned to Dave, I still struggle to convey what Aisle five is. Think I will remove that flashy thingy, especially if people see it as an advert and not info about the site.

Thanks Solweb.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inprogress View Post
    You keep them updated regarding stock availability.
    That's the bit that worries me on this particular point. Have you surveyed retailers to see if they're prepared to do that?

I've actually had some difficulty posting on this thread. I don't want to seem negative or overly critical, especially as I know you've probably invested a heck of a lot of time and thought into this and are going to be pretty attached to your core concept thoughts.

But it is the signs of exactly that - the singular perspective, that concerns me most.

Just how widely have you researched this?
    What other websites are successfully doing something similar? (My interest here is not competition, but proof of concept).
    How do they go about getting product listings and attracting traffic?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast