Thread: Bank Recon

Email problem
    Thanks

Bank Recon

Hi, as I am new to pastel I just need some help I have reconciled my bank account and it balances but there is a difference in the computer balance not too sure what to do now??

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chere View Post
    Hi, as I am new to pastel I just need some help I have reconciled my bank account and it balances but there is a difference in the computer balance not too sure what to do now??

Thanks
    Please provide more information. Have you updated the bank account in Pastel? When you say your bank account balances, what does it balance to ? Reconciling would be the process where you balance your Pastel Bank Account to your Bank statement balance. Was the opening balance in Pastel the same as the opening balance as per Bank Statement? What is the difference you out by? Which is higher Pastel balance or Statment Balance.

Email problem
    Thanks
    The pastel balance is greater, I made some errors which I correct in the GL when I did my bank recon I put my closing balance in and my opening balance was correct. Now the pastel balance is far greater.

Email problem
    Thanks
    We do receive money in advance from customers as we are a tourist operation and guests pay a 50% deposit maybe months in advance>

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If you do a journal to the bank account pastel should warn you that the amount will not appear in the bank recon. Is the amount you out the same as the amount you did for journals for.

Can you give information on the journal you passed. what did you debit and what did you credit ?

Email problem
    Thanks
    yes pastel did warn that it would not appear in the bank recon no the amount is different I think it has to do with the transfer between bank accounts - if I am doing a transfer between bank accounts do I have to do this thru the 9990 account?

Thanks
    Hi Chere - yes you are correct. Any transfer between cash books must be made via a general ledger.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Email problem
    Thanks
    thank you if I have not done it this way could this be the problem with my balance

Thanks
    Yes - it is very probable.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chere View Post
    thank you if I have not done it this way could this be the problem with my balance
    The aim of the bank recon, is to ensure that the Bank statement balance is the same as the Pastel Balance.
    So if you move an amount from the Pastel Balance, the same transaction will not happen at your Bank and thus the statement balance and the Pastel Balance will be different.

If in your case, a client pays money into your bank account as a prepayment, and in Pastel you move the money from Pastel Bank account to a Prepayment account the balance will be out because the same transaction has not happend at your bank. So the best thing you can do, is print a report of the cashbook, and see which items are in there that should not be in there, probably the journals you past that affected cashbook.