Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Motor Vehicle Issues- Advice would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

2 Motor Vehicle Issues- Advice would be highly appreciated!

Hi guys, I'm in an unfortunate position and desperately need advice. Firstly, my vehicle, 1992 Bmw 520i went for a repair that cost me R8000 for a mechanical issue and when it came back, I see the radio is not working. I went back to the mechanic and he says that I should leave the radio with him and come back in a day or two and it will be sorted. I go back after 2 days and he says that unfortunately the radio memory is wiped. So I tell him, what am I suppose to do as the radio was in working order when he took the vehicle in? He says I can try taking it to this person and that person etc etc...This is a problem he created, yet I should leave my work and study time to tend to this. I tell him that why did he take the car in, in the first place if he did not realize the consequences of the electrical side getting affected. He then becomes defensive and starts swearing F and B's threatens to F*** me up putting his finger in my face etc. I am a student while this is a guy in his 40's or so. I feel taken advantage of while he acts as business is normal, getting away with it. Any advice as what I could do?

Second problem- I have a small business on the side that pays for my studies. I purchased a vehicle in 2009- from Key Pieteramitzburg, an Isuzu KB200 Bakkie. It came with 5 years of warranty and in February this year, the warranty ended. Heres the problem- In the 5 years of warranty , I used to complain to them about the engine light coming on. They always said it was a computer glitch and sometimes they said it was the aftermarket alarm setting the light off. Recently the engine light came on again, while not in warranty and since I was sending anyway for a service, I told them to check it. Again, they said it was the aftermarket alarm and they put the light off.

Within a week the light is on again but this time I go straight to the alarm guys and have them check it and having disconnected the alarm, they see the engine light still on. I go thereafter to Key PMB and tell the guy that it was in fact , not the alarm. He says to bring the van in on Thursday as this was the only available day they had free. I ask him, that wont it be dangerous to drive the vehicle while the engine light is on, and he says no, not to worry, it will be fine. On Thursday I go drop off the can and at 1pm I get a call saying that the radiator has a leak and the engine head has a problem but needs to be stripped to check for other issues and to strip the vehicle , it will cost R3000.

I say go ahead and check. They take two weeks to do this, and communication from their side is terrible. I basically had to call them 2-3 times a week to keep me updated. Finally they find the engine damage problems and all together it will cost me R18 000. The issue is, every time the vehicle went in while the van was in warranty, to check as to why the engine light was on- it was either blamed on a 'computer glitch' or the 'aftermarket alarm'. Because I took the steps to disarm the alarm and see if it was really as they said, it was found that it was REALLY AN ENGINE PROBLEM from the get go. If they had really checked from the start while in warranty, I would not have to face R18000 repair, and who knows, maybe it was a small problem then, and now since it was blamed on the aftermarket alarm and computer glitch so many times, it could have got worse in the 5 years.

What are my options? I feel like the world is really playing a cruel joke on me.

Thanks
    Hello Zaks987 from what i see on TheForumSa, someone will give you good advice
    "Why do we never get an answer, when we're knocking at the door
    With a thousand million questions, about hate and death and war?"

Thanks
    I'm not qualified to give you legal advice I'm afraid but it's not uncommon for customers to be in your position without affordable recourse and their only resort is to find creative ways to express their dismay and anger. I suspect that in both of your scenarios you'd benefit from some legal representation.

There are some legal eagles around the forum, hopefully they've got some words of wisdom for you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My personal view is that one should never ever accept an answer that does not resolve the problem to your satisfaction. Especially not where a guarantee or warranty or service contract is involved. Once out of the contracted period, it is very hard to prove negligence or poor workmanship against the supplier.

In this case you have been strung along long enough for the warranty to expire. What you should have done is to insist on them fixing the problem and escalating it to a higher level before it got out of hand.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I'm not qualified to give you legal advice I'm afraid but it's not uncommon for customers to be in your position without affordable recourse and their only resort is to find creative ways to express their dismay and anger. .
    Sounds like the businessman who has done the same to Cell C recently
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Yeah and I see CellC just lost their high court case against him with costs Lol, Lol and Lol again, I do find some sort of perverse enjoyment when even with a bottomless war chest and an army of shiny lawyers the big fish just can't quite get its mouth around the pesky small one .

If I won the lottery I'd set up several dozen nice-sized billboards along the N1 for people to use for free if they could prove they were victims of attrocious service by big companies. Depending on the size of the win I'd even print the posters for them

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think Cell C has created a huge mistake. If they simply approached the customer, and sorted him out and learn't what went wrong, and used an advert campaign to show people they cared, sorry the new campaign is "I believe", then it would have been better publicity, than trying to blow out the water some one who has a legitimate complaint.

To be honest I am content that Cell C lost.
    I hope it is a lesson for other corporates, who have decided to use these stupid useless call centres, to resolve customer issues.

Go George Go!!!!!
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I haven't read judgement but my view was that expressing my opinion is not defamatory.
    The use of the number was not an invasion of privacy given that it is freely available.

The court application instead of resolving the issue shows the lack of care.
    It would have been cheaper to give the guy a new phone and airtime. They could have turned the lemon into lemonade.
    I bet Nandos would have turned such an incident into prime marketing opportunity.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    I also failed to see the validity of their legal argument, apparently the guy even gave them advanced warning of his intentions to do the bill board thing.

Thanks
    The way I understand the CPA the warranty period is not written in blood. Should a fault arise immediately after expiry, irrespective of whether there were signs during the warranty, you would still have a claim. February is however a long time ago if you do not have proof of complaints. You can approach your local legal aid branch for assistance regarding the procedure and correct people to contact in your area.

As to the radio, I believe you would have a case if you had confirmation of liabillity from them. Maybe get them to commit liability through email.

Unfortunately time does play a huge role, the longer you take to react the less the likelihood of success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast