Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geyser trips when hot

Thanks

Geyser trips when hot

Hi guys.
    Had a problem with a 200L geyser that trips randomly, but the water is hot.

It has a solar PC board and panels, aswell as an eskom supply. I replaced the element and corroded thermostat and the amps were good for a 3kw element. but two days later they phone and say it still trips the cb randomly. Not the E/L

Thanks
    Hi Josh, it must be a Zionist conspiracy, maybe MS will be able to assist you?? LOL

The electricians on TFSA will help you by explaining how it is probably your trip switch on the DB that is overloading when the element switches on
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I checked. 12,8 amps. The cb is a 20amp so I don't think it's that unless it's faulty. But dont think it's that cause it doesn't trip on startup. Will stay up for a few hours or days until it trips. Can't take that chance cause I have to charge them 100km a trip. Not cheap.

Thanks
    If I may ask, what was the reason you replaced the element in the first place? The reason I ask is that if the CB was tripping earlier because of overload conditions, the excess heat could have damaged the bi-metal strip inside and then it must be replaced.

CB's trip either when there is an overload, or a short circuit between live and neutral. If the element is pulling only 12.8A, neither faults appear to be the cause of the nuisance tripping.

Does the CB only supply the geyser, or is there another load connected?

Good luck with the fault finding

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I had the same problem a short while ago. It turned out the owner was turning the circuit breaker off during the day and on again in the evening to save electricity. This continuous on off motion damaged the circuit breaker especially when it was turned on under load. Eventually it failed and would trip occasionally. I replaced the circuit breaker and the problem went away.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    It turned out the owner was turning the circuit breaker off during the day and on again in the evening to save electricity.
    Many people are doing this, so I would go for a worn out breaker. I was looking at Chint breaker specs recently, and they reckon that 20,00 mechanical switching is their specified rate and 4,000 electrical life. The specs did not mention about the load being connected. Not knowing the make of the CB, adding the switching the 'On or OFF' under load, may derate the specific breaker in the DB, but then again the geyser is a resistive load, so arcing should be a minimum.

If there is a rise in temperature within the breaker, then it also trips. This temperature could be cause by burnt contacts.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Firstly there's a possibility it's not tripping the E/Leakage breaker because it's not supplied by it. Did you do an IR test? I assume not because you didn't mention it. If the geyser has some kinda control board then IR test at 250v or disconnect the circuit at the DB and connect the L+N together and IR test at 1000v to earth. Please let me know the results.

Also out of interest why was the thermostat corroded? If there's a leak then that may be your answer as well.

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the info. It is a Chint CB but still not totally convinced that it will be that to clear the problem. And as i said before, i dont want to take the risk of having another call back so far away. Yes sorry Andy, will disconnect the L and N, put them together and IR test between them and earth. will also check the isolator for burnt contacts. there was no leaking. the thermostat was corroded due to our poor water, a usual accurrance.

Thanks
    Yes it is through earth leakage.

Email problem
    Thanks
    what about the solar panel side of it? could the earth leakage be there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast