Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does a stove need to be on an earth leakage?

Silver Member
    Thanks

Does a stove need to be on an earth leakage?

Something that I often come across is a stove that has been removed from the earth leakage in domestic installations.
    Many electricians believe that a stove does not need to be protected by an earth leakage and this may not be the case.
    Where a stove is supplied via a stove coupler then the need for an earth leakage falls away, however, in the absence of a stove coupler then the stove must be supplied via an earth leakage.
    Here is a very interesting article on this subject

http://www.eepublishers.co.za/articl...ppliances.html
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Where a stove is supplied via a stove coupler then the need for an earth leakage falls away, however, in the absence of a stove coupler then the stove must be supplied via an earth leakage.
    My understanding is the stove may also be without earth leakage protection when it's a fixed wire installation and there isn't a socket outlet

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    My understanding is the stove may also be without earth leakage protection when it's a fixed wire installation and there isn't a socket outlet
    Me too Dave. The only reason I researched this was the new requirement for plug socket outlets in SANS. I decided to find out what a 164-1/2/3/4/...plug socket outlet looked like and came across this bit about the stove coupler.
    We learn every day hey?
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This is rather interesting, considering i am yet to see a stove coupler in any stove connection in durban or surrounding areas.

The way i do the inspection report, if there is a socket outlet in the switch disconnector on the wall with a 16 amp fuse, it must be on earth leakage, if the stove is connected via a 45 amp isolator with no socket outlet, no earth leakage is required. If there is no earth leakeage and a socket on the isolator, i take super glue and glue one of those baby cover into the socket, so that you cannot take it out and remove the fuse.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    This is rather interesting, considering i am yet to see a stove coupler in any stove connection in durban or surrounding areas.

The way i do the inspection report, if there is a socket outlet in the switch disconnector on the wall with a 16 amp fuse, it must be on earth leakage, if the stove is connected via a 45 amp isolator with no socket outlet, no earth leakage is required. If there is no earth leakeage and a socket on the isolator, i take super glue and glue one of those baby cover into the socket, so that you cannot take it out and remove the fuse.
    I think that there are stove couplers in places like company canteens.
    The standards are not very flexible in this area and i will remember this in future.
    With regards to fuses in socket outlets I would remove that I think. Despite the reference to the "original standards applicable during erection", it is more often than not that the fuse wire is replaced with fencing wire.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Never seen one, not in company canteens, commercial centres, industrial enviroments, nowhere.

Dave have your guys in working in Durban ever seen a stove coupler installed, while carrying out inspection reports in KZN?

I have heard they are big in the Cape.

The scary thing is that people in KZN take their stoves when they move, unles sit is a built in HOB or undercounter unit.

Apparently many years ago a 2 year old child electricuted to death in a house in Westville, the previous owner disconnected the stove and left the wires, live, sticking out the sprag, new owners moved in child went into the kitchen. The house was inspected and passed, but the owner disconnected the stove when he moved out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Dave have your guys in working in Durban ever seen a stove coupler installed, while carrying out inspection reports in KZN?
    Yep - we've seen a few. I'm not sure I could extract stats on numbers, though. Apparently it's ridiculous how much it forces the stove away from the wall...

I've got a sneaking suspicion it's supposed to be positioned at the side of the space allocated to the free standing stove instead of the middle of the space. It'll certainly make a big difference - but I guess old habits die hard.

Thanks
    Far as I know the isolators with socket outlets are no longer available. I actually hunted far and wide for fuses so that I could install one,which I had removed elsewhere, at my folks place. The socket outlet is used every day and is very conveniently situated. Having 40A available in the kitchen is great for large appliances. As for the stove causing nuisance tripping, well, since installing the isolator with socket outlet, more than 10 years ago, the stove has not tripped the ELCB once. The socket outlet is obviously rated higher than 16A. The unit has a seperate isolating switch for the socket outlet as well as the "cooker". Both are switched off at night.

Email problem
    Thanks
    The latest stoves do not have fuses and if it is fed from a 45 amp Circuit Breaker the person using the stove when a fault occur will get a massive surprise! Maybe that is why most guys place it on E/L?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Seriously!!! The reason so-called 'competent' electricians remove a stove from the Earthleakage is to prevent it from tripping. The REASON why it trips IS because there IS current leaking on the stove which CAN electrocute someone!!! This means the stove is UNSAFE and a HAZARD!!! This is NOT nuisance tripping issue but an ACTUAL electrical PROBLEM!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast