Thread: Resigning, UIF and Maternity Leave

Thanks

Resigning, UIF and Maternity Leave

Hi

I am not happy at my current job and I am 7 months pregnant. I could not find another job due to being pregnant and was planning on going on maternity leave and start looking for a new job during maternity leave. My current employer now wants to pay me half my salary during the 4 months maternity leave provided that I sign a work-back-agreement of one year after my maternity leave. Now I am considering my options and trying to find out what would be my best option without loosing too much money.

My first concern is whether I will be able to resign during maternity leave - will I have to go back after maternity leave work my one month's notice period or will I be able to resign after 3 months of maternity leave and have the 4th month serve as my notice period?

My second concern is how my decisions will influence the amount of money I receive from UIF. Apparently the amount you receive is based on how long you've been working for and how much you've been earning if you were earning less than R14872 per month. I have been working since February 2012 (+-30 months by the time I want to start claiming UIF for maternity leave) and my employer and I have been paying R148.72 each per month to UIF since then. Apparently you will receive between 38% and 58% depending on some factors (which no one can really explain to me). With this information I will basically be receiving 0.38 x R14872 = R5651.36 per month for 4 months after my baby has been born? Is this correct? If it is correct will the fact that my employer is paying me 50% of my salary (current salary = R19000) influence this amount?

If it will influence the amount of UIF I receive, what can I do? I am planning on resigning meaning that I will have to pay that 50% salary back. Is it better to resign before I go on maternity leave? Will I still be able to claim UIF and will my resigning have an influence on the amount I receive from UIF?

I don't really want to resign before I am sure of another job and because of the influence it will have on the amount I will receive from UIF, but if I don't resign I will probably have to go back after maternity leave and work for another month and I will have to pay back all the money the company is going to pay me during maternity leave.

The last thing I am concerned about is the annual leave that I still have. I get 1.25 days of annual leave per month and when I resign, any leave that has not been taken will be paid out to me. How is this calculated? According to me it will be R19000/22 = R863.64 per day of leave that I haven't taken by the time I resign. If I resign before I go on maternity leave it will mean that I am unemployed for 4 months and not earning annual leave for 4 months. I don't want to sound like a bean counter but 4 months' annual leave is worth 1.25 x 4 x R863.64 = R4318.18 which is quite a lot for me at this stage.

With all this information that I have this far, it seems to me that my best option is to:

Carry on working until I go on maternity leave
    Claim UIF for the 4 months while I am on maternity leave and hope that the fact that my employer is paying me 50% of my salary does not cause the amount I receive to be too much lower than R5651.36
    Save the R9500 I receive from my employer each month in order to pay it back
    Go back to work after 4 months (and hopefully the certainty of another job) and resign
    Work my one month notice period and pay back the R38000 that they have paid me over the previous four months
    This way I will hopefully get the most I can out of UIF as well as get paid for my annual leave that I have not taken by the time I resign.

Any suggestions or extra information will be appreciated.

Suspended
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks, I had a look at those two links.

In short my question is: What should I do to receive the most from UIF? Resign before, during or after maternity leave?

Suspended
    Thanks
    If you resign - how can you claim uif ?

Quote: [You can claim unemployment benefits if you have been dismissed or retrenched or if your contract has expired. You cannot claim if you have voluntarily resigned from your job.]

Thanks
    I was under the impression that you could still claim UIF if you resign during pregnancy...

"A woman who resigns while pregnant is still entitled to claim for UIF maternity benefits." from http://www.calorababy.co.za/pregnanc...d-to-know.html

"Yes, you can claim 4 months maternity benefits if you resign while you are pregnant. (This is the only time that you can claim UIF when you resign)." from http://www.uif4u.co.za/index.php?opt...d=39&Itemid=41 and http://www.momsuifassist.co.za/index...ask=view&id=23

"If you resign when you go on maternity leave, you are still entitled to claim your maternity UIF benefits, but no other benefits thereafter." from http://www.babeeze.co.za/?q=con,154,...g%20your%20UIF

"However, if you resign while pregnant, you can still claim for maternity benefits." from http://www.babygroup.co.za/Informati...aternity-leave

Why would so many sources say that you can claim UIF if you resign during pregnancy if it is not true? Where can I get a trustworthy answer for this? Does anyone had a personal experience with this?

Thanks
    Contact the Department of Labour directly - they would be best suited to answer according to your specific situation.
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aletia View Post
    Save the R9500 I receive from my employer each month in order to pay it back.
    I'd suggest rather don't accept it in the first place. Just less to go wrong that way.

The one thought that struck me given your income level is it might be best to give notice of your intent to resign now, but for the end of your pregnancy leave.
    This means at that point of resignation, you would be paid out your leave pay due, and if the company is using anything like a half decent payroll programme, your PAYE will also be recalculated on income for the financial year to date over the full period of your employment - which should result in a fairly healthy tax refund at that point without having to wait for the next tax filing season.

Honest, optimum result for you, without prejudicing or misleading the employer in any way.