Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People that Dont want to work !!!!

Suspended
    Thanks

People that Dont want to work !!!!

I am still trying to get my head around this one. A week or so ago we had a gentleman of around 28 come into our offices to ask us to sign a form ! When asking what the form was about, he told us that he needed three signatures from three different companies. We prompted a bit more and was then told that he was claiming UIF and that they had told him that before he could claim he had to prove that he had tried at three companies for a job and only then if he could not get a job could he claim UIF. I was totally shocked. He had come into a Recruitment company !!! He did not ask us for a job, he did not ask to be put on our books, in case there might just be a job out there ! All he wanted was our sig to say that he had been there looking for a job !!! (Which he had not even done)

Thanks
    The sense of entitlement and lack of ethics always amazes me.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks

2 differant guys

Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    I am still trying to get my head around this one. A week or so ago we had a gentleman of around 28 come into our offices to ask us to sign a form ! When asking what the form was about, he told us that he needed three signatures from three different companies. We prompted a bit more and was then told that he was claiming UIF and that they had told him that before he could claim he had to prove that he had tried at three companies for a job and only then if he could not get a job could he claim UIF. I was totally shocked. He had come into a Recruitment company !!! He did not ask us for a job, he did not ask to be put on our books, in case there might just be a job out there ! All he wanted was our sig to say that he had been there looking for a job !!! (Which he had not even done)
    I pass a particular intersection, every week day. There are usually two guys there most days, one sells fruit and one stands with a board asking for handouts. The Fruit Seller is making an effort and I will support him - the guy will have to walk on hot coals before I will give him a cent.

There are jobs out there, at one stage Cape Town employed people to sweep the steets, the Big Issue empowers vendors seeling the Magazine and of course you can always sell fruit or vegatables to motorists - why else are there so many foriegners lieveing in South Africa!
    Michael Vella
    Web Presence Solutions - www.solutionsweb.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Yep, it seems that certain members of society believe that UIF and other "freebies" are an entitlement and require no effort on their part, where do I sign up?
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Suspended
    Thanks
    One of our biggest problems in our industry is finding people that want to work, people that have the correct qualifications etc and don't BS their way thro an interview etc etc.

Thanks
    One of our biggest problems in our industry is finding people that want to work, people that have the correct qualifications etc and don't BS their way thro an interview etc etc.
    These days I'm not even too worried about the qualifications, I'm after more attitude to work, but it's getting harder to find any.
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    These days I'm not even too worried about the qualifications, I'm after more attitude to work, but it's getting harder to find any.
    Yes you are quite right. But in most jobs you need to have the qualification to do the job otherwise if the sh!t hits the fan and you are not qualified the company is in a whole heap of trouble.

Thanks
    Yes you are quite right. But in most jobs you need to have the qualification to do the job otherwise if the sh!t hits the fan and you are not qualified the company is in a whole heap of trouble.
    I agree, in my trade it's not normally too much of a problem, on the job training is a must anyway because of the high specifics, as long as the relevant applicant has a trade it is quite easy to get the detailing down.
    Today Defines Tomorrow

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    It's the same mindset where many employees class their sick leave allowance as standard holiday entitlement. I even had one guy a couple of years ago wanting to get paid out for 3 days he was still 'entitled to take sick' but hadn't.
    This was the same employee who handed in his resignation out of the blue one day. A week after he finished I got a call from him wanting his position back because he thought he could claim UIF for 6 months but alas it didn't pan out as planned for him.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    It's the same mindset where many employees class their sick leave allowance as standard holiday entitlement. I even had one guy a couple of years ago wanting to get paid out for 3 days he was still 'entitled to take sick' but hadn't.
    This was the same employee who handed in his resignation out of the blue one day. A week after he finished I got a call from him wanting his position back because he thought he could claim UIF for 6 months but alas it didn't pan out as planned for him.
    I find that a good introduction to the policies of the company can have a positive result. Example in the introduction you can explain how leave works how sick leave works as well as the conditions for UIF if they resign. The situation would have been avoided. It is very important to state clearly what the role of the employee is what your expectations are what the Procedures are. That way you can eliminate a lot of problems.

Also they can sign off on it and then you have a very nice document to back you up as an employer and the employee have guidelines that she/he can follow thus helping your company to function in an effective manner.

As for the man that wanted the signatures, yes you do get that. A lot of people want to abuse the system. That said if the responsible enitiy did a followup I am sure HR Solutions would have confirmed that the man was there but that he didn't came asking for a job or even handed in a CV. Then the abuser could have been blacklisted. Sadly most of the time they don't check up on the info on the forms.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast