Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: selling personal information to direct marketing companies

Diamond Member
    Thanks

selling personal information to direct marketing companies

I am so sick and tired of receiving calls and messages and sms messages all f&*^&* day long.

I am told by one of these marketing telesales people that i must have replaced a sim card at some stage and had to rica it, thats how they got my number.

Apparently your personal information is sold to these direct marketing companies, you sign and they tick the block with the small print to allow them to sell personal information contact details.

The sad part is no matter how many times you keep blocking these direct marketing numbers they just keep computer generating new ones. The days of private number which nobody answers anymore are a thing of the past. They got wise to that.

The other new tactic which saves their telesales people lots time allowing them to bother more people is a voice activated call system. If you dont say anything when you take the call the line will just go dead, but if you say anything hello or hi the call is directed to a telesales consultant.

IF anyone has a way of getting rid of this crap please share with us.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ians, for me the give away is when anyone phones me, then asks to speak to me
    I either end the call or say "you have a wrong number". I'm sure it drives us all batty.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (20-May-15)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Agreed...especially when you answer using your name 😏
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So anyone have a solution to this problem? A simple proceedure to unlist from all direct marketing and a way to prevent it from happening.

I see business opportunity for a smart person. Pay a small fee to prevent these people accessing your personal details.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Email problem
    Thanks
    it is more general sale call in china that make feel i just a client rather than a man.

by the way,have you accept the cold call by your sell phone?
    mush be some software can block the phone number which may not change.

sorry for nothing help if accepted by fixed-line telephone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I remember a while back that on "land lines" there are ladies that will talk "funny" to you and your phone bill gets billed. Now my personal thinking is why not get a SIM card and ask the provider to amp up the billing per minute. If they phone you and want to waste your time you bill the living crap out of them. I don't know if it is possible but it will solve this problem i am 100% sure of that. R10 a second if possible sixty-seconds = R60. You just tell people that want to contact you to do it via SMS...

Well if it is possible that is
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I am so sick and tired of receiving calls and messages and sms messages all f&*^&* day long.

I am told by one of these marketing telesales people that i must have replaced a sim card at some stage and had to rica it, thats how they got my number.

Apparently your personal information is sold to these direct marketing companies, you sign and they tick the block with the small print to allow them to sell personal information contact details.

The sad part is no matter how many times you keep blocking these direct marketing numbers they just keep computer generating new ones. The days of private number which nobody answers anymore are a thing of the past. They got wise to that.

The other new tactic which saves their telesales people lots time allowing them to bother more people is a voice activated call system. If you dont say anything when you take the call the line will just go dead, but if you say anything hello or hi the call is directed to a telesales consultant.

IF anyone has a way of getting rid of this crap please share with us.
    I just continue to block them every time every day and it slowly slows down. If u have a smart phone just block them

Thanks
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (18-Jun-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    scary truth about smart phones are they are open to all kinds of trickery. There are people collecting old phones and recover all deleted data. This will give them access to photos, video audio personal notes. Track your movement for up to six months and much much more. It is sh!t scary what people can do with an old phone. They can map out your life based on the information you thought you deleted. How does this add to your grief? Simple really your phone has a SIM card and that SIM card has a lot of "components" to it that normal people don't know about or care about.

The reality is target advertising isn't a myth and they don't need social networking or your permission. All they need is you to say "HI this is so and so" and they got you. It is scary how our info is just accessible. When i lost everything [long time ago] all of the sudden i got debt consolidators SMSing me 10 times a day? Do you honestly believe that is just a happenstance? There is no such thing as coincidences... The reality they knew i was being blacklisted and banks was taking stuff back. My question to you is who is giving them that info because i am a 100% someone is selling us out 1kb at a time. And is the sole reason why i do everything cash...

So here is a thought, you go to your employee and give them your old phone. He/she loses it and someone with skill gets it. They have access to almost anything including your online accounts. If you understand computers you understand that everything "EVERY SINGLE THING" has to get cashed into RAM memory and memory. It has to because it has user interface.

Firstly don't do contract phones... NEVER do contracts
    Second list the people you need to contact and needs to contact you and avoid cold calling...
    Third if you can avoid smart phones get a good old phone with no camera or colour screen...
    Destroy your old phone... don't just smash it put it in oil and burn the sucker until there is nothing left.
    Deactivate and destroy old SIM cards.

If someone phones and you pick the phone up and there is no noise or voice turn your phone OFF for 5 minutes.

Call me paranoid but if they can start your car and mess with your breaks via laptop on the other side of the world then your phone is child's play...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    We live in an information world. If anyone wants to "track" my old phone or my new I pHone 6 they are welcome to .......
    And yes it is easy to track anyone, via a phone or even a posting on a forum ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast