Thread: impact driver bits

Suspended
    Thanks

impact driver bits

anyone know of a pozi no 2 screwdriver bit suitable for an cordless impact driver...one that doesnt strip...and yes i do know the diffrence between a phillips no 2 and a pozi no2...

i have tried many diffrent ones...the makita pac with the gold colour bits have been the strongest i have tried to date...but even they are giving up.

i have been looking into the bosh "H" series to see if they would last longer...

or the phillips bi torsion bit...diamond coated

or maybe wera stainless steel...

i have tried titanium bits...but cant say they were any stronger

i have even thought of getting some oil up to a very high temperature then dipping the bits...but i think this would make thenm brittle.

any ideas?

Thanks
    It's always a trade off between hardness and brittle. These bits are just consumables I buy them by the dozen, usually the Makita ones.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i found hilti ones will try them and see how they work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post

i have even thought of getting some oil up to a very high temperature then dipping the bits...but i think this would make thenm brittle.

any ideas?
    Hi Murdock,

Heat treating the bits could work, but easier said than done.
    The problem being that you do not know what material they used to manufacture the bits.
    The method of heat treating is to heat up the product in a furnace to the correct temperature and then depending on the material, either quenching in water or oil
    Different material require different temperatures to harden, typically from 860 degrees C to 1060 degrees C and you DO have to temper the bit back to say between 50 and 55 HRC so unless you know the material it will be a trial and error situation. The tempering is the secret to get rid of the brittleness and still retain the strength.

The cutting torch method also works but very much hit and miss......

In the light of the above I think Andy's suggestion is still the best !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Heat treating consistently without the proper equipment will be hit ad miss at best. You could try an induction heater which should be more controllable if you have one for fitting bearings, if not I think I paid a couple of thousand for ours a few years back but they may have come down in price since then.

Thanks
    If it needs to be so tight that you need an impact driver, why not use screws with a hexagonal head? Impact sockets are freely available.

Thanks
    Cheap Impact bits don't last. I came from an environment where we used many each week drilling into massive timber beams. No matter how expensive they are durable they say, they will always break. We tried them all from cheap and nasty (the record was 4 in a row at single uses for each) to very expensive ones. The expensive ones lasted but eventually broke. You have to weigh it up and maybe use a mid range one. Also the Pozi 3 are made with a thicker head and we eventually changed all our fixings to pozi 3. Its a thicker screw, but the heads last much longer.

To answer your original question : try either Bosch / Hilti even WERA. We had some results out of them. If you going through them quickly, it may be an option to start looking at the type of screws you are using. Self cutting with turbo thread did wonders for us going through the beams and these were screws about 20cm long.

Good luck

Suspended
    Thanks
    thanks...will look into the pozi 3 i have also considered a square head or torque screw?