Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E Book Reader or Tablet

Thanks
    What happens if the cloud burst's and rains down all that is stored What about the Galaxy range?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I cannot imagine why anybody would buy a 7" device. I am waiting for the 12" Samsung tablet. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and there ain't no way that I am going to squint at a teeny little screen. I watch movies on my 10.1", Youtube, read, farm on the internet and all those nice things. A 7" screen is no better than a cellphone.

I also wouldn't touch apple, even with Andy's barge pole. To me Apple seems to serve a particular market segment and it does so by virtue of its shiny white case, not its specs. I deal a lot with the "Designer" crowd and every single one of them runs around with a suite of Apple devices, why, because every one of them do. One of them told me the other day that they are inspired by the sleek design, sh1t, if that is what it takes to be creative then we are all lost. To me Apple is simply the Gucci handbag of computing. people carry them around because it is the "stylish" thing to do.

HR, none of what I said is meant to offend, it is merely a thought process. Of course there are people who simply like the product and think that it is a good product but I do think that on the whole it is not the case. When every single design student you deal with pitches up with an Apple notebook running AI then you are bound to think that there is something to my theory! These are not state of the art Apples mind you, they are merely shiny white extensions.

3. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (24-Apr-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have a 10.1" tab and a S4. My wife has a 10.1" tab and a Kindle. She loves both her devices and I love both of mine. The Galaxy tab 10.1" has two flaws that get on my nerves. The earphone jack is at the top and the charging jack at the bottom. This makes it difficult to balance on your chest if you are lying on your back and it needs to be charged. The other thing is that it charges through the USB port (or main plug) which is a pain when you need to use the port. I download photos onto mine when I take a lot of photographs . So, when I take the CF card out of the camera and start uploading to the tablet on site and the tablet runs flat then it is a pain to switch back and forth between the CF and the charger. I don't know whether one can charge via the USB port whilst using it to run another device. I suspect one can given that the USB port connectors and the charging connectors within the plug that goes into the device may not be the same...dunno...worth investigating.

Thanks
    I have an Ipad and a kindle. For books novels etc. kindle all the way. For magazines Ipad
    I was given an Ipad by my daughter who won an IPad mini. I wouldn't buy one. Apple do make great products but are overpriced. One Apple that works well is the Apple TV just it needs an USB slot but everything else works well.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    I don't know ... perhaps I'm just "strange" ... I've been reading books since I could read (do about 50 to 100 a year). I've tried the Kindles when they first came out and liked the idea, but liked books better. Then tried on my first smart-phone (3.5" Motorola Milestone) through the Kindle app and found it just the same as a Kindle, only now I can read without extra lights - still not as good as the books though. Size-wise it's not an issue since you can zoom in closer which just means there are more pages with larger text. The biggest trouble i had with the phone is the battery - would last about 7 hours of constant reading (yes I've read that much in one go several times). The main reason I went away from physical books is space - I'm a book-hog so find it difficult to sell them back 2nd hand (since I've the tendency to re-read books several times over). Now with electronic storage my rooms don't resemble libraries anymore.

Later again tried on a colleague's newer Kindle (with backlight) and found it nice, but not good enough to overrule the phone. Couldn't see the point. Then also tried on a friend's iPad and found it similar to the phone only larger. And both were making my wrists sore after a long read, same with the Android tablets - strange that I didn't have this issue with real books, must be the way I hold it. These days I'm using my new smart-phone (Samsung Note 2) which is a little smaller than a tablet but still light enough not to give my wrists that "sore" feeling after an hour of reading. Also its battery lasts a lot longer than the previous phone - my charges are between every 2nd day and every 5th depending on how much I actually use it.

And in all cases (phone / tablet / special reader / on the PC/Laptop) they save the book onto local storage so it's not an on-the-cloud situation. You just download the "book" and after that you can turn off your connection and still be able to read it. If you wish to synchronize the position(s) of your last reading between devices though - you need to turn on connection (3G / WiFi / LAN) in order to save this position onto the cloud and read it back to the other device(s) - but again once that's done you don't need the connection anymore.

So for me, I just don't see any point in logging a extra great big tablet / ereader along just so I can read - and then still need to rest it on a table since my arms would become lame very quickly. If I wanted to have a bulky thing with me then I'd get the book proper.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikilianis View Post
    What happens if the cloud burst's and rains down all that is stored What about the Galaxy range?
    Not sure what this question means at all ! Not sure what u mean by asking about the range either !!!

Thanks
    So c'mon Mike, tell us what you ended up buying and what you think of it.......please tell me you didn't buy the Crapple thing....

Thanks
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab 3 \3G\ 32GB for 5999 a bit overkill for what I originally had in mind but what the heck I had to make a choice and I bought it

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikilianis View Post
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab 3 \3G\ 32GB for 5999 a bit overkill for what I originally had in mind but what the heck I had to make a choice and I bought it
    Brilliant - well done.

I still have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 Tab 1 and it is always with me. My kingdom for a 12 inch tablet!

Thanks
    This what you have in mind:
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" Black - with built-in HSPA(21Mbps) 3G , Multi-Screen switch ( support 2x APPs running at the same time ) , with s-pen stylus , Smart Stay power saving , 204.0x295.6x7.95mm thin , 753g , built-in 2MP+8MP dual camera , SoundAlive audio , 8-cores ( 1.9GHz Quad + 1.3GHz Quad - dual cpu ) , ARM Mali-T628MP6 VGA with 3Gb dedicated RAM , 12.2" multi-touch TFT lcd with PLS ( Plane to Line Switching ) technology with 178° wide viweing angle ( 2560x1600 - WQXGA ) with HDMi tv-out, 1920x1080 full HD ( recording @ 30FPS + playing at 60FPS ) , @ 60fps with innovative S-Pen , built-in 32Gb + miCroSDXC slot ( upto 64Gb ) , micro-USB (11pin) , bluetooth + dualband 802.11AC WiFi - Android 4.3 , 95000mAh battery - 1 year warranty

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast