Thread: Component Terminal

Thanks

Component Terminal

Silly question I know however I have a Telefunken 26" fullhd lcd TV and three of the terminals are for what the book says is "Components." however the manual says nothing about what I can connect to these components. Silly question and I should know the answer but don't. Can anyone help please

Suspended
    Thanks
    Are they the blue red and yellow plugs ?

Thanks
    Thank you for the response. No they are Red, Blue, Green. It also has two sets of Red, White, Yellow that I have connected my DSTV and DVD Player

Thanks
    Component A/V connection tends to be a name used for analogue composite video (wrongly), strictly speaking the RCA connections (used in older devices like VCR players). The yellow tends to be for Video. While red and white tends to be right and left stereo sound (respectively). You get other colours too - usually when you have multiple channel sound.

As example, here's a picture of the most common stuff:

Strictly speaking Component video would mean breaking the video up into its RGB "components" ... as in Red Green Blue. Composite means they're combined and the other connections are for sound ... i.e. A/V (Audio / Video). Many manufacturers are based in non-English speaking countries so such misnaming is quite common.

Though I'm guessing as you have both variants, this is correctly named. In which case it would be just that, the Red, Blue and Green components of RGB video.

That's a "simple" way of understanding it. Though usually the components are in a different colour space: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

If at all possible, I'd advise you try to refrain from using either component (or composite) as they have less capabilities (especially on HD or higher resolutions). You should really be using HDMI (at the very least) these days. Best results are from DVI or (for really high-end stuff) Display Port.
    Last edited by irneb; 28-Sep-16 at 07:14 AM.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (28-Sep-16)

Suspended
    Thanks
    So in basic terms they are inputs for something like a external video player perhaps

Thanks
    Thank you so very much for this amazing response. I really appreciate all your input

Suspended
    Thanks
    If you have a camera that watches your front garden - you can even put that in there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Curtis View Post
    Thank you so very much for this amazing response. I really appreciate all your input
    You're very welcome. I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    So in basic terms they are inputs for something like a external video player perhaps
    Most likely yes. Anything from DVD players, VCR video player, CamCorder, PC, Laptop, Satellite (or other) decoder, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    If you have a camera that watches your front garden - you can even put that in there.
    Exactly, anything which sends that sort of video signal can connect through those connections onto the TV.

As long as the device sending the video sends it through such format into those sorts of cables, you can use those.

As an example, my old 2005 laptop has an S-Video output at its back. Then I use an adapter to convert the S-Video signal to composite. It looks like this:

However, these are very old connection types. They were common in the 1980s. By now you'd actually find some devices do not even have them anymore, especially if the device is digital and not analogue.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses