Thread: ISO 9001 compliance

Thanks

ISO 9001 compliance

I recently dealt with a company who state that their 'products use ISO 9001 certification standards'. It was this claim that helped them get on board here.

Now I did not read anything into this until the product broke down and does not come up to scratch. Its a concrete paving product, the company is called Colorcrete and they are ignoring all calls and emails in this regard.

Their statement could mean that they do not have the certificate but only use the standards somewhere in their manufacture.

I cannot find anything regarding the reporting of such claims or the legal or illegal use of iso 9001 claims and certificates. Does anyone out there know who or what body rules and runs iso9001 in SA and where one can query as to whether companies are compliant or what to do if they make claims such as the one above without the actual certificate?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Claiming to use the standards is not the same thing as actually being certified. Being certified would involve an independent third party assessment by an accredited assessor/auditor. I think the SABS is the local representative authority for the International Standards Organisation, but if it involves misleading marketing material, the Advertising Standards Authority is another option.

There's some background on ISO 9001 here. I think the thing to bear in mind is it is a process standard and doesn't necessarily mean the product meets any particular quality standard, although if a company has gone to the trouble (and expense) of getting certified you would expect it would ultimately result in a product of reasonable quality.

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (15-Jan-10)

Thanks
    Eventually I have had a call from this company and they have been round, agreed that there is a problem and promised to relay the whole area.

Of course its the first time that this has occurred so there is nothing to compare it to.

Will follow up and if they do as promised will have to take back my words and acknowledge that there are decent companies out there.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Eventually I have had a call from this company and they have been round, agreed that there is a problem and promised to relay the whole area.

Of course its the first time that this has occurred so there is nothing to compare it to.

Will follow up and if they do as promised will have to take back my words and acknowledge that there are decent companies out there.
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting