How will anti-apartheid icon Harry Schwarz be remembered?
Outline of Schwarz's political life
- Defense lawyer in Rivonia Trial.
- Formidable opposition leader in parliament from 1974-1991, feared by National Party MPs.
- Realigned opposition politics against apartheid in 1970s.
- Signed Mahlabatini Declaration with Buthelezi in 1974 (first declaration by black and white political leaders committing to end apartheid in non-violent way)
- Led the call in white politics for peaceful negotiations with black leaders.
- Became first person to propose a Bill of Rights in parliament in 1983.
- Visited Nelson Mandela in jail in 1988 and demanded his release.
- Acted as a symbol of the end of apartheid as ambassador to United States in 1990s, and negotiated end of US sanctions.