Thread: Thank you, TFSA, for great minds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thank you, TFSA, for great minds

Starting a business from scratch, during an economic recession, is an enormous challenge. Growing this small business into a sustainable entity with even bigger growth potential, is even more challenging. But the biggest challenge still, is breaking through that ceiling between small business and medium enterprise.

In most small businesses this is nearly impossible, since the people-structure does not support strategic planning. Most small businesse are made up of a CEO/MD and workers, with nothing inbetween, due to cash flow constraints. So of course the CEO/MD is also the accountant, the secretary, the marketing manager, the HR manager, the designer, the buyer, the planner, the debt collector, etc etc. The critical flaw in this structure, is that the captain of the ship wears 20 different hats each day, and is so busy "working", that there is little time for strategic vision. Even worse, should the captain grab the 2 hours between midnight and 02h00 for a little strategic planning, it is still only 1 mind at work here.

I want to thank TFSA for a fantastic platform, that connects the small business owner with a network of great minds, who each contribute a wealth of knowledge and experience. I have gained so much by reading through past and present threads, on topics that are not my field of expertise especially, and this has helped me tremendously in bringing some strategic vision back into my business.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (09-Jul-11)

Suspended
    Thanks
    just imagine if all the small bussiness out there could join together and make one big company...having a huge group of individual thinkers who are so motivated that they are prepared to step out from the comfort zone of their daily jobs and take on the responsibilty of running a bussiness...you would have the most dynamic company...with best motivated team anyone could ask for...anyway this would be my vision and goal if a had the money and i was a little smarter...the world would be at your feet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    just imagine if all the small bussiness out there could join together and make one big company...having a huge group of individual thinkers who are so motivated that they are prepared to step out from the comfort zone of their daily jobs and take on the responsibilty of running a bussiness...you would have the most dynamic company...with best motivated team anyone could ask for...anyway this would be my vision and goal if a had the money and i was a little smarter...the world would be at your feet.
    You make it sound so dreamy, Murdock. I think in reality all those "leaders" would end up in conflict over time. Some people are better as leaders, some people are better off working for somebody else. I think you need a good mix of those different types of people to work.

Another though is that if your business ends up not being yours anymore, but belongs to all those other people too - would you still be that motivated?

More on topic, though, mother has put forward some great thoughts. TFSA is a really fantastic community where you can get that creative/strategic input from other parties who want nothing other than to see you succeed in your own endeavours.