Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At my wit's end... What to do about shocking client?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh and we will be spending the rest of the afternoon reworking our fee structure and creating documents to clearly outline every aspect!

Thanks
    Mark
    This happens all the time. We now state the quote includes 2 revisions and explain this is to cover typos and minor author alterations. Thereafter it is Rx per hour plus materials.
    We can read most people pretty well and if they are fussy it is just the hourly rate. We often get business cards on word and powerpoint and they say I have done the 'artwork'. Then it is upfront payment including artwork.

But I agree with everyone if you are worried walk away. Then in future get upfront payment (I don't call it a deposit anymore) then most clients are reasonable.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

3. Thanks given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (07-Jul-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes the problem lies in communication. Have perhaps you created unrealistic expectations when first approached by the client. Our service ethic sometimes leads us to over promise. In order to deliver on this promise, you may now be spending too much time with the client/project, which is unprofitable.

In these cases it is always advisable to be blatantly honest with a client. Tell him your side of the story. Once he understands the process he may be more accommodating. Have you done a proper needs analysis to see that what he says he wants and want he really wants/needs is in sync?

I do not believe in sending e-mails when there is a problem. A telephone call or ideally a one-on-one works far better to sort out the problem. It allows for better assessment of the situation as body language, attitude etc will tell you much about the person. He may be testing you before giving you more business. Or he may just be milking you for ideas.

Some clients are unprofitable and should be made to pay for your time or cut off. Be clinical about it and do not let emotion influence your decision. Nobody works for free. Good luck.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    You might find the guy sending you the specific instructions is not the same person rejecting the work.

Either way, I would send an e-mail and invoice stating that the work as quoted has been done. You're happy to continue making requested changes at your standard hourly rates and look forward to a positive business relationship.

If that gets rejected, you're likely a donkey chasing a carrot. Walk away. School fees. You're spending 99% of your time and effort on 1% of the customers.
    Watching the ships passing by.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    Thanks for your input guys.

It is a bit more complicated than this, though. There is a big opportunity for a lot of referrals through this client.

I have sent them an email stating that any further alterations will be charged for at our hourly rate and that if they aren't happy with our design work, they are welcome to walk away, no strings attached.
    only you know how valuable this customer is...go with your gut feel...if it feels right...run with it and do what you have to and make it work...no matter what...if it doesnt feel right turf it in the dustbin and move on.

these customers teach you valuable lessons...just make sure you learn from it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Murdock.

The customer and Red Giant have parted ways. We spelled the situation out to them, trying to be fair about it, and they decided to walk away. Suited us just fine. Just a little disappointing that we couldn't provide them with a logo they were happy with - we really do care that our customers are happy at the end of the day. That said, I don't think even they knew what they were looking for.

We have learned from the experience indeed. Restructured our logo pricing to avoid further disputes as far as possible.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i have been watching your threads and checking out your blogs and website...looks like you fellas are going places...great to see people moving up...keep up the good work.

i am one of those customers...it took me 11 years to come up with my logo...it had to be right...i just didnt know what right was...until i saw it 11 years later.

11. Thanks given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (12-Jul-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks so much - it really means a lot to receive positive feedback like that. Makes us even more motivated.

I guess with design sometimes it takes a while. A designer is not always going to produce the perfect logo for you first try. That's why we sell additional concepts. The problem is often clients don't understand that aspect to designing, or why costs are "high". Ah well, all in a day's work!

Thanks
    Mark
    It must be a great relief that this is over. I would just watch that company to make sure they don't use the logo as they haven't paid for it.
    We have found that most people know what they want so we always design around that.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

14. Thanks given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (12-Jul-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You're right Ian. Well if they want to go the effort to crop our watermark out and use a logo that hasn't been finalized, I'm not going to go to all the effort to try and stop them.

Most customers do know what they want. It's just in this case the customer's wants kept changing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast