Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Valid COC?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to bomb those links to those monster files and save everyone some serious bandwidth, Sparks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    That is cabtire feeding other socket outlets.
    Here's that picture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex-plug-point.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	2085

And yes, now I understand why Sparks is getting hot under the collar on this one.

Thanks
    Thanks Dave, you certainly are on the ball. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Single phase with clockwise rotation is already setting off alarm bells. Also no geyser......?
    Maybe they can prove it to us?
    Prove which bit, the single phase rotation or the no geyser?

We always mark the rotation as not applicable if it's a single phase supply. I've never had any guidance to say we should do otherwise but not working in the domestic field we only issue maybe one COC a month so maybe it's slipped through the net. I would carry on doing this unless someone can show me firstly how to determine the rotation of a single phase supply and secondly a good reason to worry about it.

I've never seen a domestic property that doesn't have a geyser. Also if there's a gas water heater there's more regs such as the cage for the bottle requires earth bonding and lightning protection plus they still need the earth service bond to the water pipework.

Thanks
    The rotation of 1 phase around itself
    The geyser is still there
    I have just heard that there are another two powered-up DBs'

Thanks
    I was hoping there is an ECA member in the Gauteng area with a contact number for someone there. Here is another sample:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27556811/100_2272.JPG

Suspended
    Thanks
    nothing wrong with that its not part of the installation because its plugged in

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    nothing wrong with that its not part of the installation because its plugged in
    Yep - when I saw that photo I started wondering about the plug/junction box in the earlier photo too. How is that supplied?

I have some concerns about some aspects of how the electrician that issued the COC went about his/her business, but ultimately the COC only covers the portions of the electrical installation it was issued on.

You can contact the ECA in Gauteng on 011 392 0000 (Jhb) or 012 342 3242 (Pta). They should be able to point you to one of the GEIA chaps - I believe there are some in Gauteng.

When it comes to the parts of the installation where no COC has been issued - there I think you'll have to be chasing the seller (if this was a sale situation).

Thanks
    Thank you Dave,

I just need to backtrack a bit now though. Murdock, I agree with you in some cases, not this one however. The underfloor heater is a fixed appliance and as such is required to have a dedicated circuit fed through the ELCB with either a double pole isolator or be fed through a socket outlet for isolating purposes. The socket outlet is not there to discount the heaters from the COC but rather as an alternative isolating mechanism. If the heaters are excluded, does it mean that the earthing mesh is also not required? Is the floor heater exempt from the regulations completely because an alternative "isolator" is being used?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Thank you Dave,

I just need to backtrack a bit now though. Murdock, I agree with you in some cases, not this one however. The underfloor heater is a fixed appliance and as such is required to have a dedicated circuit fed through the ELCB with either a double pole isolator or be fed through a socket outlet for isolating purposes. The socket outlet is not there to discount the heaters from the COC but rather as an alternative isolating mechanism. If the heaters are excluded, does it mean that the earthing mesh is also not required? Is the floor heater exempt from the regulations completely because an alternative "isolator" is being used?
    how do you know the under floor heating was installed before the COC was issued? you just never know...

something we must all remeber is maybe this person is not out to crook the system maybe this person just needs some help...pointed in the right direction...i still dont get this COC thing right every time i am lucky to have a very knowledgeable person who assists me when i need help...

after attending a refresher course at the eca i realised that this industry needs more teachers...and because of the amendments...refresher courses or a point system should be bought in to make sure we all keep up with the changes.

i for one would attend seminars or group meetings to discuss problems we are having in the industry and to address confusion with certain parts of the regulations...

Thanks
    This COC was issued after the house was sold before the new owner had access. I somehow doubt you will install underfloor heating after you have sold your house.

I have highlighted all the items I have an issue with.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27556811/P1.bmp
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27556811/P2.bmp
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27556811/P3.bmp
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27556811/P5.bmp

This guy does not know how to complete a COC
    This COC is worth less than toilet paper.
    At least toilet paper does not give paper cuts.(not what I use anyway)
    Last edited by Sparks; 29-Jun-11 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Addition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast