Thread: broadband bombshell???

Thanks

broadband bombshell???

"Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Telkom's new mobile operator, 8ta, has dropped a bomb on rivals Vodacom, MTN and Cell C, introducing a cut-rate broadband product offering 10GB of data a month for R199 on a 24-month contract.
    At this price they are going to get people migrating from ADSL lines. I must check if 8ta are on my exchange at home, it is 300 metres from my house.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Here's a bit more on the subject: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadb...-unpacked.html

21MB/s ... hummm!!! Impressive! Even the sets "show" peaks at 11MB/s (international) and 19MB/s (national).

Though this is a one-time-offer (apparently)! Supposedly running for at least 2 weeks, during which time you have to sign a 2 year contract. I can't find any info on if the modem / dongle is included. And what a "promotional" offer means to me is that there will very soon be something even better (if this wasn't telkom of course).

So I'm not too sure if it's good or bad jumping onto this particular bandwagon. For me it's still a bit dicey to go to hellkom (again). Even this "unbelievable" R20/GB deal is still not good enough to make me forget all the cramps they've given me in the past! And from what I hear telkom's not "fixed" their insufferable support yet. They'll need to go an extremely long way to get their bad-taste out of peoples mouths!
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Any idea where one could get a coverage map ?
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Any idea where one could get a coverage map ?
    Perhaps from 8ta themselves: http://www.8ta.com/coverage/
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Thanks
    Yes, I looked at that map but does it mean that it will cover their fast service........it only shows 3G ?
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    That's one of my points if you read between my previous post's lines. It's a "promotional" offer. No saying how bad it's going to get in a month or so, even if their 3G "coverage" is not purchased from MTN. I.e. you have tremendous speed for the 1st few weeks (if you have a 8ta tower nearby), but after the hype is over you get Telkom dialing you down so you're lucky to get 1GB worth of downloads per month if you run your modem 24/7 (i.e. you're paying about the same price for 1GB as you could have got from somewhere else, only now your speed is dismal).

I'd say "no" about coverage as well, that coverage map shows 3G as they get it from MTN. Somewhere I've read that 8ta's only got about 1000 towers of their own as yet (in the process of adding another 1000 for the end of the year). Now a 1000 isn't that much if you take it for the entire country (and it's ALL their towers, not just 3G) - the 3G areas on that map looks to cover more than just 1000 towers-worth. E.g. Vodacom's got 2000 HSPA+ (43MB/s) towers already (that's not counting HSUPA / HSDPA / 3G / 2G), and some are complaining of their speed being at EDGE or below in some major cities (i.e. 2G).