Thread: Win7 Ultimate scam

Thanks

Win7 Ultimate scam

Just recieved this in my email:
    Subject: Windows_7_Ultimate_&OFFICE_2010_&CAD_CAM
    ============================
    Hello,
    ============================

Solidworks 2011,MASTERCAM X,PTC Pro Engineer WildFire 5,AUTOCAD 2012 --- With this version ,you can install it on as many machines & many times as you want.

Adobe Creative SUITE CS5 --- With this version ,you can install it on as many machines & many times as you want.

It has come to my attention that you might have an interest in purchasing the operating system
    Windows 7 Ultimate version.

I am selling Windows 7 Ultimate DVD --- the FULL Ultimate version.
    This is not the retail version from the store shelf, but it is the one that Microsoft gives out at
    IT Professional Conference Meetings to Engineers and Sales Professionals who are invited to come to these meetings.

Since it does not have the "Activation" policy files attached to the disk,it was not sold to the public,instead it
    is used to promote their software which is a regular practice with Microsoft Corp.

It is not a beta version, trial version, pre-release or anything like that.Although this is a copied DVD and not an
    "official Microsoft disk" it works exactly the same,and has even more benefits since it has no activation files, it can
    be installed unlimited times on as many computers as you like which is a big plus!

The only down side to this is that there is no Web Based Support from MICROSOFT because it was not bought from them.
    This is the same with any preinstalled programs in a store-bought computer. Microsoft states on their website
    registration page for windows 7 that it is..."Completely Optional"

It is the full version, and as such it can be used to upgrade from an existing
    operating system and can be used to perform a "clean" installation on a blank hard drive.
    Windows 7, the next generation OS from Microsoft is now RTM. This DVD is bootable .

I'd be willing to sell it to you for a very low price of $40.-plus a small shipping & handling fee. If you include
    64 BIT Windows 7 with it, I will include free shipping for a total of $60.- us dollars.You simply cannot beat this offer.
    This would cost you $299.-plus tax in any store, or $600 for both items, and you can only install the store bought
    version on one computer.As I said there are not any limitations or restrictions with this type of version other than
    the web-based support, but who really needs that anyways? I don't.

If you want to purchase Windows 7 ($40.-) or OFFICE 2010 PRO ($40..-) or BOTH PROGRAMS ($60.-) email me
    with your shipping address and inform me which item you want, and I will even send it in advance.

You will receive it in 4-8 business days (sent from outside the United States) and check it out for free to see if it
    is in perfect condition (just check out whether it is readable on your system or not) just open it up and see if your
    computer can read the files and if so then it will work with your system. Then email me back and let me know.

After I get your payment via an online-payment service such as PayPal which usually seems to work best for most people
    I will email you the code-number to install the programs .This is the best method to do this type of business online....
    for all parties involved.

I hope to hear from you soon.
    Thank You,
    Doing some googling, it seems to be an old scam - just reasserting itself: http://www.oldspower.com/vb/archive/...p?t-55137.html
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What scam? It sounds perfectly legit.

(Seriously though, it scares me that there are people who fall for this kind of thing.)
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Thanks
    Not sure if this is a 'scam' in the truest sense of the word, on the face of it they're not really pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, looks like they're just trying to sell cracked versions of OS's and software suites for cash or even redistributable versions and they give you a leaked VLA activation key upon payment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's still fraud though, surely?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Do you people HONESTLY think Microsoft will be giving away a copy of their OS for UNLIMITED use? Come on now ...

Besides, why would they allow people to sell FREE distro's? Sigh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    It's still fraud though, surely?
    Absolutely still fraud and highly illegal in many countries, they're just being upfront about it so I wouldn't have classed it as a 'scam'.

I think you misunderstood Andrew, I wasn't suggesting that it was legitimate business I was just saying they're just being very honest about the fact they're selling something dishonest so it's not what I would have classed as a scam because they're not really misleading the customers.
    Although this is a copied DVD and not an "official Microsoft disk"......
    This is the best method to do this type of business online....for all parties involved.

Thanks
    I think the point is: a layman might think this is legit - you do get those who have the impression that anything on the net (emails & web pages included) is the "truth". Nowhere do they actually say: "This is an illegal version." For someone not in the know, the implication is that this is "sanctioned" by M$. They simply state that it's the version given away by M$ at conferences. It doesn't state that it's an illegal copy, just that it's a "copy".

Further it goes into stating: "The only downside is ..." ... Web Based Support! OMG! How many people actually know that M$ has some web-based-support? And of those who do know, how many actually used it?

The "purchasing" method sounds non-fraudulent at first glance. I.e. they'll ship in advance - prior to payment. So you can see if the disc actually contains what you want to buy. After which they'll mail you the "install code number" (is that an activation code or serial code or such?) after payment. ... uhm ... contradiction? I thought a previous paragraph stated: "... does not have the 'Activation' policy files attached ...".

To me this starts sounding a lot like those Nigerian baking scams. You give some info, they give something, then you give a bit more, then there's some payment ... etc. etc. etc. It's either that or it's actually an entrapment scam, perhaps M$ themselves. At least that's how I view it.

If I'm wrong in either of those "conspiracy theories" then I'm still highly suspicious of someone wanting to sell me something illegal. If they're willing/able to get away with something like that (i.e. software intellectual property theft), what's to guarantee that they don't simply want info to phise something like my banking details? I mean, a criminal in one sense doesn't exactly invoke confidence that they're not criminals in other ways as well!
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    To me this starts sounding a lot like those Nigerian ba(n?)king scams.
    I suspect the method has probably been driven by people being twitchy after hearing of all the scams on the net, or having been burnt themselves.

Which actually argues against the "naive buyer as target" line of thought

Thanks
    I like this particular scam, it's more food for thought than most. It doesn't sound like a phishing scam to me and I have to suspect that the chances of them fulfilling their side of the bargain by emailing a volume licensing code after receiving payment would actually be high. It wouldn't cost them anything, VLA keys are available for all the packages they offer if you know where to look and they would have plenty to gain from repeat business if customers were to go back to them for another of their software package offerings because the first transaction was completed successfully.

I'm leaning toward it being a bona fide business apart from the product itself being illegal. I don't see it as being a likely rip-off for the customer any more that any other online transaction with an unknown entity might be. That said it's certainly not free from risks either.