Thread: Installing Windows XP on VB

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Installing Windows XP on VB

Due to the fact that I have never used VB I am a bit lost and am not sure where to start. Should I go through the process of creating the virtual machine within VB and make use of the original Win CD or should it be the service pack 3?

When I try to start the VM with Win XP I get a message saying: "FATAL: No bootable medium found. System halted." the question I now have is whereto from here?

Thanks
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    So you went all the way through the XP install process in a virtual box environment and then you can't get XP to boot??.

If you have an original XP disk, you should slipstream at least up to service pack 2 (I hate SP3) and make an ISO image of the slipstreamed installation disk then use that to install in VB.

Thanks
    Which VM are you using? I prefer VirtualBox, since it just incorporates better than even M$'s VM. I've gotten my WinXP-SP3-32bit running on top of my Win7-64bit. What's even nicer, is it doesn't need to make a switch-screen (i.e. full screen) or a windowed VM. The XP taskbar & start menu is displayed directly on top of the Win7 taskbar (I've moved my XP taskbar to the top) and all windows from XP appear to be those of W7 (though not using the glass appearance). As if you're running only one OS - copy-n-paste between the 2 works seamlessly. The only time you notice a difference is if you want to save to shared drives/folders between the 2, but even there you can change the drive letters to match. See this screen capture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture_06162011_093024.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	2070

I have found some difficulties when installing something like Ubuntu 64bit into a VM, since the VM doesn't then want to boot??? But in such case I just have a dual boot running, Ubuntu32bit works fine in the VM though - perhaps it's something to do with address space.

If you're having problems with installing it, you need to have either the WinXP CD (with the SP incorporated as preferable, like Andy suggests) or an ISO image of one (I need SP3 due to some of my programs requiring it, the SP2 does seem to be less buggy though). Then set the VM to use your DVD drive / ISO image mounted in the VM's IDE ROM drive. It should then boot as if you restarted the PC with the install CD in the drive bay - i.e. Windows install pops up in a window. Then after that you install the guest additions into the VM - which makes for this incorporated look, and finally install the Guest Additions' DirectX 3D/2D acceleration while the VM is booted in safe mode (makes for a bit better performance). Then after that your VM should be able to share the Host OS's internet connection for updates and such, fine tune shared stuff like drives/folders/ports/etc. to your requirements. And then place the settings file on your desktop so a double click starts the VM - no need to first open Virtual Box.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Irneb to reply to what you have said: I also have VirtualBox installed. Perhaps the difference being that I want to install Windows XP in the VB on an UBUNTU operating system. This is a screenshot of where I am at present:

Name:	Screenshot.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	2071
    I am not sure whether you will be able to properly see the screen .

Should I now insert the original Win CD and then click on "start" in the VM?

Thanks
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    You need to insert the original CD, but also need to mount it in the VM (it's not necessarily mounted automatically). Your best bet is to edit the settings of the VM before you start it. In the settings dialog, under storage. Select the ROM drive, then at the top-right there should be a button with a CD icon. Click this and select the CD/DVD drive from Ubuntu (sorry I've not got my Ubuntu running at present) - this is a new PC which I'm in the process of setting up.

Name:	capture_06162011_121811.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	2072

If you can't directly mount the CD this way, then you could create an ISO image of it and then mount that rather. Most CD/DVD burning software can duplicate a CD/DVD to an ISO image.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks very much guys, Windows is running inside VB.

Now I just have to install all the programs that need Windows to run again or could I just import them into VB?
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    You cannot import your programs, you need to install them like you normally would have running XP on a PC. You can do all your Windows Updates, install antivirus program and Office software in the Virtual Windows. It is a good idea to have an antivirus program running if you are connected to the Internet because you can also get "baddies" in the virtual XP.

Hope i have expressed myself clearly.

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Yes you have thanks very much
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.