Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When are the Grid tie Solar systems going to be allowed

Silver Member
    Thanks

When are the Grid tie Solar systems going to be allowed

So South Africa is the perfect country for PV solar systems. Perfect light, lots of it and a national grid which is struggling. So does anyone know when they are going to allow grid tied solar systems on a domestic/comercial scale. I know some big companies have huge systems but they have to be of a certain size(BIG) before they are allowed. I heard December from a certain solar equipment supplier but I'm guessing there is going to be some sort of lisencing issue. They are not going to let every tom, dick or harry feed power back onto the grid. I got the UK qualification but thats never good enough for here so anyone know anything. Thanks

Thanks
    From the little I know about this issue I think it's Eskom that's dragging its feet coming to the party with the necessary grid upgrades to accommodate micro generation export to grid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Once the black outs start, and if the public push very hard, they will quickly allow it to take place.

I recently found out from and inside contact to the way parastatals work. They can not make a freakin decision, however, if there is enough enquiries from the public via the call center, which they record the contents for this type of enquiry, "When is soso going to add this to your service?", then a decision is taken very quickly. I think it is the syndrome that no one wants to make a decision and be blamed for it if it does not quite pan out, so it is better to make no freakin decision at all - how are we ever going to learn if we are too scared to make a decision. However if the their is considerable public interest, then a decision is no longer required, as the public has made the decision for them. So the way to make changes, is to set up many people to make calls to these institutions asking for the same upgrade/service.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The Eskom heads are smiling to the bank, there workers can’t even get loans… The truth is Eskom is sinking and they are taking South Africa with them.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Email problem
    Thanks
    check out http://www.rooftopsolar.co.za/ for some grid tie projects

Email problem
    Thanks
    Grid-tie IS allowed in certain municipalities, just not 100%

Thanks
    It might be 'allowed' or perhaps 'tolerated' would be a better word but what's the point if there's no feed-in tariff structure? You won't get paid for the power you're exporting from your PV system so at present it won't make financial sense to install PV if you're on the grid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    You won't get paid for the power you're exporting from your PV system so at present it won't make financial sense to install PV if you're on the grid.
    You are absolutely right, if the cost of installing a system that can take care of all your needs and export excess power to the grid is not going to earn some income to help amortize the outlay, why do it?

I am sure that if they introduce a payment system, even if it is a credit for future use when grid power is required (say at night for water heating) it will make it more financially viable.

I hear that certain States in the USA have an electricity meter that reverses when exporting power to the grid so you get a usage credit, then when you use more it reduces the credit to zero before charging you for any power consumed.
    If the amount of credit exceeds a certain figure in the period under question you get paid out the difference.

Ed Begly was on a system that paid him a reasonable figure annually, which went a long way to financing his system.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Email problem
    Thanks
    see the authorities are not being to encouraging, but check out http://msolarpower.wordpress.com/.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solar_panels_town.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	3915
    Last edited by AndyD; 30-Aug-13 at 09:37 AM. Reason: fixed link

Thanks
    I'm not saying solar PV is non-existant I'm saying with the present lack of feed-in tariff your motivation to install it wouldn't be financial. If for some reason you buy into this carbon-neutral living thing then maybe you'd consider it for those kind of reasons.

Some of the older disk type meters may run backwards when power is being exported but this probably isn't the norm because power companies want to buy power cheaper than they sell it, if exported power causes the meter to run in reverse then that's effectively the buying and selling price at parity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.