Thread: AC voltage / current data logger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Suspended
    Thanks

AC voltage / current data logger

if you really want to pi** on my battery and put me in a bad mood...here a good way top do it.

sell me an AC voltage /current data logger (major tech MT 250) for R1599.00

"tell me the unit is a true RMS meter" (http://www.major-tech.com/Website/Pr...ProductID=3134) ...but when i use in conjunction with other true RMS meter and find the reading vary...the real true RMS meters (2 different meters) indicates a voltage of 214 volts... the MT 250 indicates 187 volts.

then carry out a data log at a customer and find the reading is out even on a normal supply by 3-6 volts

when i return the unit and request the meter is checked...get told that i have to pay in R1300 to have it calibrated because major tech cannot carryout the calibration for what ever reason.

i do realise you get what you pay for...but dont then say the unit is something it is not...this unit cannot read distorted sinewaves accurately...only pure sine waves and even that is not accurate.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How long ago did you buy it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    How long ago did you buy it?
    I'm guessing you're thinking the same as me. Was it purchased after the CPA became effective?

Suspended
    Thanks
    purchased in march 2011

for what i want to do with the unit...the price was right...simple logs like geysers...when they switch on and off...in domestic installations...switches times for small boilers...etc etc...instead of getting a google meter...which is maybe a better and cheaper option...

Thanks
    I think the first thing I would do if I had no successful outcome with the retailer is contact Major-tech directly by e-mail outlining the cause of your disappointment in their product and request their comments by way of a reply. I would also highlight the direct contradiction between the info you were give by the supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    when i return the unit and request the meter is checked...get told that i have to pay in R1300 to have it calibrated because major tech cannot carryout the calibration for what ever reason.
    and the info that's in black and white on the Major-Tech website ;
    Major Tech holds a comprehensive stock of spares and parts for our complete product range......Instruments can be returned to Major Tech for repair under any of the methods stated for calibration services.
    Source

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...and must surely be supplied as already calibrated...

When it comes to commercial scales there's some pretty strict legislation. Perhaps it should be extended to all commercial metering and measuring equipment. 214v vs 187v is a material discrepancy.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i am waiting for a repsonse...the person who informed me about the fee said he would have to speak to his manager and get back to me.

the best thing major tech ever did was take on the kyritsu brand of meter...because quite honestly i cant say i would ever a major tech instrument unless it had a K in the model number.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.