Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY electrical

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Suspended
    Thanks

DIY electrical

lets say i write a step by step article about how to wire up a generator (just using this as an example)...for the DIY enthusiust...have it printed in one of our local DIY mags...but the article is missing a few key points about the safety...and i forget to mention that you need to earth the unit etc etc...what happens if someone does their own generator connection and one of the members of his family or a friend visiting gets electricuted?

another question...what happens if one of our local DIY TV programs does an article on how to connect a new security light...but the step by step instalaltion is illegal?

If one of your customers are one of these DIY type peopel and like to do everything themselves...which i think is great...but he is buying and installing equipment which he has purchased from a DIY store and none of the components are SABS approved...how do you tell the customer that you cannot sign over his house when he sells it because all the components he installed are not sabs approved...and who is responsible for the cost to replace all thes ecomponenets which should never have been sold in south africa to start with?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    how do you tell the customer that you cannot sign over his house when he sells it because all the components he installed are not sabs approved...
    As tough as it is, that's the easiest one of the questions you raise

Awareness the issue here?

Suspended
    Thanks
    then my question is if the DIY programs and articles in the magazines are not correct...how does the customer become aware?

in the sans book it clearly states that all electrical installations are to be done by a registered electrician...does this not apply to DIY enthusiasts?

Thanks
    then my question is if the DIY programs and articles in the magazines are not correct...how does the customer become aware?

in the sans book it clearly states that all electrical installations are to be done by a registered electrician...does this not apply to DIY enthusiasts?
    Does it say that? I've pretty nearly finished reading 10142-1 front to back (minus the part about special installations as I have no such need and all I can find is that a three-phase installation must be done by a registered person. The closest I can find to what you seem to be implying is "clear" is section 5.3 (CONSTRUCTION) of the CoC form, that seems to presuppose registration. (That is, if "responsible for" and "did the work" mean the same thing.)

Also, there's Annex P, which for single-phase installation includes "any person" as a possibility for "May be installed by", which has the qualifier "on behalf of". But what does that mean if I'm extending my own installation - the "DIY installation" so maligned here?

I'd appreciate it a lot if you could point me to chapter and verse of a more explicit statement of who may work on the wiring. It's been bugging me for a while now, as I need to know just how far down the ethics ladder I'll have to go eventually when I actually connect the new circuits to the supply. Sorry to sound smug, but I'm 100% certain that I can do at least as safe a job as whoever previously worked on this house's wiring. I don't suppose any one of you guys forgot an empty gin bottle in my roof? :-P

Thanks
    You sure it is a gin bottle normally its a wine bottle with a lable " Bright Spark " It couldnt of been mine or any of my co-workers as we only drink Vodka on the job,why do you want the person responsible to remove the empty.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i have an easier way to resolve this debate...anyone ever filled out a certificate of compliance for a new electrical installation which by the way is found in the sans new grey book under section...i am not sure which chapter or verse...one of you bright sparks will have to give us a page number with the chapter and verse..

if so please direct me to the vers and chapters for each section...and calify how you determined the answer to each question on the document...maybe that will clear up any misunderstanding about who is responsible for what part of the electricial installation...from the design to the purchasing of materials...to the installation and then last but not least the testing.

i can see where this thread is going...you gona make me put down my captains morgans... squash my cigar roll my wheel chair across to my desk and have to look up the answer in a book which i dont even own yet...i will have ask the warden to get me one

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by berndj View Post
    Does it say that? I've pretty nearly finished reading 10142-1 front to back (minus the part about special installations as I have no such need and all I can find is that a three-phase installation must be done by a registered person. The closest I can find to what you seem to be implying is "clear" is section 5.3 (CONSTRUCTION) of the CoC form, that seems to presuppose registration. (That is, if "responsible for" and "did the work" mean the same thing.)

Also, there's Annex P, which for single-phase installation includes "any person" as a possibility for "May be installed by", which has the qualifier "on behalf of". But what does that mean if I'm extending my own installation - the "DIY installation" so maligned here?

I'd appreciate it a lot if you could point me to chapter and verse of a more explicit statement of who may work on the wiring. It's been bugging me for a while now, as I need to know just how far down the ethics ladder I'll have to go eventually when I actually connect the new circuits to the supply. Sorry to sound smug, but I'm 100% certain that I can do at least as safe a job as whoever previously worked on this house's wiring. I don't suppose any one of you guys forgot an empty gin bottle in my roof? :-P
    couldnt have been me i didnt go into anyones roof while i worked in cape town...

will note your comments and take it up with the electrical bargaining council...maybe i can register my bussiness as a diy company and do electrical work...it will save me plenty money in bargaining council fees.

i wish i had time to read the sans book from cover to cover...maybe you can bring us up to speed with the changes in amendment no 7 i havent even been to collect them yet.

Thanks
    couldnt have been me i didnt go into anyones roof while i worked in cape town...
    Ja.....the problem is that you finished half the bottle before you went into the roof.....that's why you cannot remember !
    Last edited by Martinco; 02-Jun-11 at 05:27 PM.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Ja.....the problem is that you finished half the bottle before you went into the roof.....that's why you cannot remember !

is that how i got that bump on my head...it must have been when i fell out the trap door and i thought it was from the headboard

Thanks
    will note your comments and take it up with the electrical bargaining council...maybe i can register my bussiness as a diy company and do electrical work...it will save me plenty money in bargaining council fees.
    That wouldn't quite do as you'd still be doing work on behalf of someone else. I'm not confused about that at all - doing work for someone else is a strict no-no unless you're registered. I thought I pointed that out, that I have no intention to work on anyone's wires but my own, but you seem to want to imply that I'm one of those clueless bakkie handymen for hire? This seems to be your chestnut.

So how about that chapter & verse reference to the grey SANS book you were mentioning? Have you been able to find it? In the end I'll probably just wire everything up except for the final connection to the circuit breakers - that way both I and whoever issues the CoC will have our peace of mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.