Thread: Ubuntu 11.04

Thanks

Ubuntu 11.04

Ok so Ubuntu 11.04 has been released and since i have had a quirky problem 10 and firefox closing browser windows at the wrong time, decided to just GO FOR IT... no reviews nothing.

Well its substantially different!! Gnome is gone... (you can switch back to the Gnome interface) the quick launcher on the side and the way it works is going to take some serious getting used to. Not having tabs at the bottom on the bottom... dont know about that one!!

Installing was good easy... didnt bother checking the size but around 800M (have to check that one)

Lotsa changes!!!! If thinking about the upgrade seriously look into it because VERY different on the front end!! Still fast, most of the add ons etc still work fine so far...

But think about it.....
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Hi Garth,

I have been playing around with 10.4 but so far the bug has not bitten me as there are sooooo many things that are different to Win that it really takes some getting used to.
    I thing that if one had to use this all day, there would be some progress but with things as it is I am still sticking to broken windows. When I have some more time on my hands, I shall try again !
    Do you find the 11.4 "easier" than 10.4 ?
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Jury still out on that Martin... not at the moment. Some of the small changes like moving the launcher to the side, the way the windows work, the close/min tabs are on the other side... its taking some time. My reason for such an unplanned change was the connections problems on 10 with CellC. VERY problamtic, so far so good on 11 which puts a smile on my face!!!

11 is very much a personal, you either like it or hate it!!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    There's been quite a few gripes about Ubuntu's new love-affair with the Unity desktop instead f the old GNome one. Unity seems to be more designed for touch-screens than mouse & keyboard, and it's lost some customizability & features which were available in the old Gnome.

Note I use OLD Gnome, since even Fedora's new release is using the NEW Gnome which also has a OSX-like launcher-bar (only on the side, like in Unity). It seems all of them are going that route. At least it's possible to install an old Gnome / KDE if you absolutely hate the new desktop.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.