Thread: Can i import these seeds.

Thanks

Can i import these seeds.

Hi , if someone can tell me if i can import an endangered species of cactus called "Lophophora williamsii" seeds.

This cactus contains "psychedelic alkaloids"

it is legal in S.A but i want to know can i import it , out of curiosity.

Thanks.

Good reason for doing this

Peyote (Lophophora williamsii) is a small, spineless cactus whose native region extends from the southwestern United States (including the states of Texas and New Mexico) through central Mexico. It has been used for centuries for the psychedelic effects experienced when it is ingested.

The cactus flowers sporadically, producing small pink fruit, similar in appearance to a chili pepper, which can be very delectable and sweet-tasting when eaten. Peyote contains a large spectrum of phenethylamine alkaloids, the principal of which is mescaline, also found in many other cactus species like San Pedro and Peruvian Torch. All Lophophora species are extremely slow growing, often taking up to thirty years to reach flowering age (at about the size of a golf ball, not including root) in the wild. Due to this slow growth and over-harvesting by collectors, peyote is considered to be in danger of extinction in the wild.

Thanks
    Is it actually on an endangered species list somewhere or is it that it's harvest is controlled to prevent it's use as a hallucinogen?

Thanks
    No , its really endangered , this cactus can take 30 year to reach full maturity without using nitrogen.

As state in my above quote
    All Lophophora species are extremely slow growing, often taking up to thirty years to reach flowering age (at about the size of a golf ball, not including root) in the wild. Due to this slow growth and over-harvesting by collectors, peyote is considered to be in danger of extinction in the wild.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.