Thread: Place of work

Thanks

Place of work

I have been struggling with this for some time now. Can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone.

I am employed as a control room operator at a certain company. I work 12 hour shifts in our control room handling and responding mainly to alarms and high risk situations. Can my employer send me to work the same 12 hour shift in a client's control room almost 20km away where there is no representative of our company present? My employer seems to think that he can send me to work such shifts in any other company's control room without it being mentioned in my employment contract. We have more than twenty similar clients, is that to say I can be sent to their offices as well to work? I do not get anything extra for these "extra" services and petrol that I have to spend.

What is the point of employment contract then, Basic Conditions of Employment Act states that: "the place of work, and, where the employee is required or permitted to work at various places, an indication of this"
    Is there no meaning for this then? Because my contract says nothing of other places of work. Simply that I work for "Company A" (My employer)

I have taken this up with my manager and one director. They seem to think that they are allowed to send me anywhere they want, to my own expence.

Am I being silly, or is this wrong?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I may be wrong, but my immediate feeling is that you were contracted to work at place A(company control room), how you get there is your expense, however if they change the location of employment, they are obliged to supply the transport and in their own time. Much like employees that work as security personnel. They meet at a point where the contractor picks them up and transports them to site. The start time is when they are picked up.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.