Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blackberry vs Windows Mobile

Thanks
    I've been testing K9 Mail. All I can say: "That old mail app isn't seeing me again!" It's all I can think a phone's mail app should be. Works well with IMAP, but even POP3 works as needed (by default). You can set it to download the entire message to the phone instead of just the headers, but it's not the default. Has a nice Combined Inbox & All Mail folders. Your different accounts are colour coded so you can quickly see which message came from which account. And replying allows you to choose a different account to send through.

But just as I'm getting used to it, my Milestone's just informed me there's an update available. So I'm now on Android 2.2.1 (Froyo). Though I'm not even going to try those standard Mail apps. It would be nice if I could even uninstall them, although in such a case I suppose the only way would be to root the phone and install some other Android than the official one from Motorola. BTW some have already installed 2.3 (Gingerbread) on this phone: http://modmymobile.com/forums/564-mo...rbread-os.html

If you want to be on the bleeding edge, then you'd probably want to check that site. They've got several modified Androids for install on most phones.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
    I was just abit worried as some people say they use over a gig on there android phones !!!

Thanks
    Oh! If this is still something you're worried about, install an app called APNDroid from the Android Market (it's free). You can then place a single button Widget on any of your screens which turns on/off data connection, so you can ensure for yourself that there's absolutely nothing doing something in the background if you don't want it to.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi irneb,

Thanks for that info, very useful. Will monitor data usage and if it gets our of hand will definitely use APNDroid. (Although it might also be a good function to switch of email function after business hours ) From what i have read they say you can do reply from different accounts and stuff with android 2.3 but i also know that alot of people rave about K9 mail.

My contract is up for renewal this month. So im busy checking out the market. Vodacom doesn't seem to have as good deals with the latest Android phones though. So hopefully they will have a good special soon with their new red marketing

Thanks
    Just an update on this. I was kayaking on the Orange over Easter. Needless to say the rains made for some serious rapids and I got dumped once. The phone was inside a zip-lock inside one of the (supposedly) waterproof compartments of the kayak, but the zip-lock got filled with water. Phone-dead .... opened and left to dry in the sun, still wouldn't turn on.

Once I got back to civilization I plugged it into a charger and it turned on. But as soon as I disconnected the charger it died. Even if it was on charge for 24h. So I assumed the battery got hosed in that dunking.

Went to a few shops here in JHB. Everyone tells me: "We don't have stock of that phone's batteries, it's too new." At which stage I tell them: "But! It's discontinued overseas! How can it be 'TOO NEW' here?"

Anyhow, one guy told me to try the Motorola head office in Midrand. So going there it looked a bit suspicious - just a receptionist at the desk, not displays or anything like that. After telling her about my probs, she goes upstairs to one of the "managers". Comes back down and tells me: "Here. the manager's battery for free. Sorry our public shop's not opened yet!"

So here's a +1 for Motorola at least. Even though they've not got the facilities they make up for it with their customer relations! Just wish they'd bring their new phones to the backwaters of Africa sooner ... I was starting to look at their Works-under-water, dust-proof & shock absorbent Defy model after my experience. But that's probably only going to be available some time like 2015!!! When we can get the over manufacture spill-off from the EU.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.