Thread: Windows Live Mail 2011

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail 2011

Hi Everyone,

I fount this new program for Windows 7 & Vista (at least new to me).

Is anyone using Windows Live Mail 2011?

How does it compare to programs like Thunderbird & full outlook?

Anyone with experience using Gmail with Windows Live Mail 2011?

Thanks for your input!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Windows Live Mail is a glorified Outlook Express in my opinion. I do not like it. The layout is too simple, and it's not as powerful as Outlook 2010.

Just my opinion.

Thanks
    It has cut down functionality when compared to outlook. Thunderbird is similar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    Thunderbird is similar.
    Only if you don't install the add-ons like Lightning (for your calendars) and some other niceties. I find it more comprehensive than Outlook 2007 (especially with IMAP), not to mention faster with huge mail folders, and contacts auto-complete / contact sidebar is a dream in comparison to OL's auto-complete-not-from-contacts / dead add contacts when in the write a mail window. I haven't used OL 2010, so I can't comment on that though.

But it all depends, if you were happy with OL Express then LiveMail's probably not bad at all. I don't know how well it works with GMail - but with GMail you can choose POP3/IMAP to swap if one doesn't work as well. The main differences is the extras over-and-above just a mail receiver / sender: e.g. calendar & appointment scheduling, contacts sharing, email sharing, etc. For those you'll need either Outlook / Thunderbird - usually also with some Exchange-like back-end server.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    I can agree with you on that one. But microsoft's strength (and to some, its weakness) has always been that it offers a package. For some inexplicable reason, people don't like to try and find that one awesome add-on. They just want it to work.

Thanks
    I can agree with you on that one. But microsoft's strength (and to some, its weakness) has always been that it offers a package. For some inexplicable reason, people don't like to try and find that one awesome add-on. They just want it to work.
    Yes! It would be nice if TB would have a few packaged installs - e.g. a bare-bones (OL Express like) all the way up to a fully fledged enterprise version which works on Exchange or other back-ends with document management built-in (something like Zimbra Desktop).

They have been trying to make the add-on experience easier by making a new Addon Collection idea where users could package their favourite addons into a single once-off install. But still you need to install TB bare-bones first and then install the add-on package.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For some inexplicable reason, people don't like to try and find that one awesome add-on. They just want it to work.
    Plug 'n play rules. We've got lives to get on with

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    But still you need to install TB bare-bones first and then install the add-on package.
    As long as there's some level of assurance that the bundled package works well, I don't think that would be a major problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    As long as there's some level of assurance that the bundled package works well, I don't think that would be a major problem.
    Well, there is a rating process you can give these packages. So I assume it's a question of searching for those with the highes rating and greatest number of users - i.e. Let others test it for you, then only install the best of the bunch