Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation of 220V downlights

Thanks
    It was the same frustration with worthless contractors that led me to qualify in the first place. Today I make sure that when I go sleep I have made an installation safe for someone somewhere. I now have the knowledge and tools to ensure that the legal requirements have been met. At least you have taken your family's safety into consideration and asked questions Didditmiself, as Leecat pointed out, there are a lot of factors to consider and scary stuff out there. The salesman at the supplier is just that, a salesman, not an electrician. He also does not know where and how you intend to use the installation. If the suppliers are interested in anything other than money, why is it so difficult to get 4pole isolators. They should be kept in stock yet when I ask for one I am given a blank stare "no-one uses them" is the reason given why it has to be ordered.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Unfortunately i am at a point where i am tired of banging my head, i cant think straight anymore, nor do i loose any sleep. At one stage i was also all for rules and regulations, but they keep changing so often, that i have lost interest. The electrical regulations have become like diets, one day chocolates are bad for you, the next day they are the best thing since sliced bread. Then you can bury a cable then you cant, then generators came along...need i say more. I am gona say this again, you cannot have rules and regulations unless you have a enforcement agency and punishment for offenders.

Thanks
    Guys where can I start with getting qualified for a Wiremans, my employer is willing to pay for "upgrading" me under a company program to develop skills.

If it takes 7 years or even 16 years, i am willing to attend classes and write tests well into second half of this century if that is what it takes to get qualified.

I have more than enough experience with DC & power electronics to start with, and i've done alot of DC installations and communications installs, i've spent too much time on sites helping professional electricians (with 3phase wiremans) sorting out the mess they've made, blowing up customer equipment, watching them struggle with their R50 test equipment, and i am too embarrassed to say what else i've seen these guys do.

Im not interested in becoming an electrician for the sake of making money or a living from it, i want this qualification to better my skills for starters, and maybe one day i'll do the tata bakkie thing and open an account at the local electrical wholesaler

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymes View Post
    Guys where can I start with getting qualified for a Wiremans, my employer is willing to pay for "upgrading" me under a company program to develop skills.

If it takes 7 years or even 16 years, i am willing to attend classes and write tests well into second half of this century if that is what it takes to get qualified.

I have more than enough experience with DC & power electronics to start with, and i've done alot of DC installations and communications installs, i've spent too much time on sites helping professional electricians (with 3phase wiremans) sorting out the mess they've made, blowing up customer equipment, watching them struggle with their R50 test equipment, and i am too embarrassed to say what else i've seen these guys do.

Im not interested in becoming an electrician for the sake of making money or a living from it, i want this qualification to better my skills for starters, and maybe one day i'll do the tata bakkie thing and open an account at the local electrical wholesaler
    I am not sure what the requirements are these days, if you call the Electrical Contractors Board on 011 392 0000 I am sure they will steer you in the right direction.
    If memory serves me correctly, In 2001 the requirements for an installation Electrician were:

A minimum of 3 years apprenticeship as an electrical apprentice.
    Sit a trade test, pass and obtain a Trade Test certificate as an Electrician.
    2 years experience working as an electrician after having obtained the Trade Test certificate (experience garnered prior to the qualification does not count)

6 months of college, I did night school, to learn the Electrical Rules and Regulations 10142-1.
    Sit 2 exams on the above Regulations and pass both.

Apply to the Department of Labour for your wireman's license using all of the above qualifications.
    Register with the Department of Labour yearly to retain the validity of the licence.

There is another qualification called an Electrical Tester but I dont know what that requires

After all that you may then feel like opening a business so you can begin to recoup some of the rewards for your efforts.

Just remember one thing, nobody ever opens a business to make friends or fly the moral flag.
    You are in business to make money and provide a legitimate service, in that order.
    The more legitimate and professional your service is, the more money you will make and there is nothing immoral about making money.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    you cannot have rules and regulations unless you have a enforcement agency and punishment for offenders.
    Unfortunately that is the sad state of our country(no enforcement anymore) I am sure most would agree. Service is dependant on pride only which I am afraid has emigrated.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Problem with pride, it doesnt pay the bill and when times get tough, need i say more.

The other problem, when times are good, there is no time to do things right.

I hear it at the electrical wholesalers, daily, how everyone does the job right, etc,etc, complaining about other peoples workmanship, unfortunately still being on the tools, i see the results of those same companies who drop labourers on site to carry out the work, what a joke. The only reason i am in the industry at this point in time is because it pays for my toys and equipment to set myself up in another industry.

Thanks
    what if ferrels were used instead of connector block?

Thanks
    Ferrules are great if you use the correct indent crimper. You can double insulate them with heatshrink. Obviously a ferrule is a permanent connection so if you think they may need to be removed periodically then maybe reconsider other options.

Thanks
    Last week Friday I had down lighters to install,I used 5A connector strip and choc boxes nice and simple to install,this is in the UK

Thanks
    Choc block type connectors are pretty rare nowadays in the UK, they mostly use Wago connectors.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast