Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed up your startup

Thanks

Speed up your startup

I have been using this to speed up the startup of my computer Soluto software Download and install it and then restart your computer. Then it tells you what programmes are loaded at startup, which you can delete and which you can delay.
    Best of all it is free.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

2. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (07-Feb-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The PC Genome is a one of a kind knowledgebase which will contain statistical insights about PC software and hardware behavior, as well as remedies to alleviate PC usage frustrations.

Soluto is committed to generating credible, reliable and trustworthy data. As such, we employ software engineers and data experts to ensure the quality of our dataset.

Soluto will make this dataset freely available, for the public to analyze and deduce conclusions regarding software and hardware performance.
    Ian, (or anyone else, of course) could you please drop a note here when the PC Genome data becomes publicly available? At this stage it's just a "coming soon" page.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I clicked on the link got this page “see print screen below” clicked on the download and will soon test the software. Maybe they where tweaking the site?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soluto.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	1865  
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sadly the download is an installer that needs the internet to be active while installation, thus it is a bit of a gamble because you don’t know the true size of the file and that is a concern when you have a cap and a budget to consider.

Hopefully they will have a full offline installer available soon. Speeding up your boot time is always helpful.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I'm sure if you hunt around you'll find a redistributable standalone version which won't need an internet connection like the bootstrap application does.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Sadly the download is an installer that needs the internet to be active while installation, thus it is a bit of a gamble because you don’t know the true size of the file and that is a concern when you have a cap and a budget to consider.
    I've installed the software and, although it doesn't say how big the installer is that's being downloaded, it only took about a minute or two to download on my Vodacom HSDPA modem, so I reckon it's a fairly modest file size.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    I've installed the software and, although it doesn't say how big the installer is that's being downloaded, it only took about a minute or two to download on my Vodacom HSDPA modem, so I reckon it's a fairly modest file size.
    Depending on the speed you had running on the HSDPA it could be up to 2min @ ±5MB/sec = 120sec x ±5÷8 Mbytes/sec = 120 x 0.625 = 75Mbytes. Although I'd be extremely surprised if it reached that maximum.

BTW, there are quite a few things which can fix / remove any startup programs. And if you want to do so manually you can even check up on your registry, usually most of what starts at boot-up is contained in these registry keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

There are other places as well, but with some googling you could even get to those as well. Here's a nice setout of nearly anything which would start at boot / startup time, and also gives a few programs which can manage these for you (if you don't want to dabble in registry yourself). And this one seems to cover nearly all bases - only 600kb.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    The preloader is 856 Kbs and the program install is 7,76 Mbs .
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Teco
    If you are near the wanderers in Joburg come to my shop and I will let you plugin and load the software. My adsl is syncing at 7MBPS so it will be quick.

Otherwise this seems useful.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    I use MSconfig for removing startup programs, and ccleaner for any of the additional files that need removal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast