Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux Ubuntu 10.10

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Hi Martin

I only have 10.04

Am also experimenting with it, and did the following :

assuming you have a decent PC ( dual core ) with 3gb ram ?

Download and install VirtualBox (free) - allows you to have a virtual PC ( or many ) on your windows platform.

I then installed Windows 98 on one virtual drive, Ubuntu on another, and a clean (from CD) copy of XP Pro on another.

This lets you use another OS without having to re-boot the PC, and you can cross copy from one OS to another.
    Hi Dave,

I have made some posts on the Ubuntu forum and have been advised that the 10.4 version is actually better for me than the 10.10.

I tried downloading but thanks to Telkom, it drops the line after about 20Mb, I tried from two different PCs and two different ADSL connections but no joy.

Is there any way you might consider mailing me a copy of your 10.4 ? I shall gladly pay the cost. It would be highly appreciated.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    You could also download it using a system other than ftp that will allow for continued download if your connection fails. Torrents would work or even using a good download manager.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (02-Feb-11)

Thanks
    Andy,

Give me a few pointers..................thanks
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Sorry martin, I typed a post twice now and both times hit the back button by accident whilst putting in the hyperlinks and the board text editor has dumped the post......grrrrrr. Im out of time (and patience), I'll post again later with instructions.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there a free download manager out there that isn't full of spyware/adware/whatever? That would be the easiest.

I tried one a while ago and it worked great - but strange things started happening to my "internet browsing experience" so I dumped the critter. It was just a little too invasive for my liking.

But there must be a good one out there that just does what it's supposed to and nothing more.

Thanks
    The download managers I've tried are all too invasive for my liking. You could maybe install one in a sandbox, complete your download ftp style and ditch the sandbox when you've finished.

The other suggestion I had was to download it as the official torrent. Torrents are a continuable download system, if your conection drops you only lose the very small piece that will fail the hashcheck. First download and install a torrent client such as utorrent if you're using Windows, it's very simple, or Vuze which has more complicated options, (it's java based so therefore X-platform) if you're on a linux based os. Both those torrent clients are freeware.

Then go here to the official alternative ubuntu d/l page and rummage for the .torrent file for the particular distro that takes your fancy. Load the .torrent file into your freshly installed client and away it goes. The only downside of the torrent system is that you'll also upload some data to the rest of the swarm but I would imagine the Ubuntu torrent is hosted on some convincing seedboxes so I doubt you'll be out of pocket for much extra bandwidth.

8. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (02-Feb-11), Martinco (03-Feb-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Is there a free download manager out there that isn't full of spyware/adware/whatever? That would be the easiest.
    I've been using Free Download Manager for quite a while now and it works excellently. If you use Firefox you can get the FlashGot extension
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

10. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (02-Feb-11), Martinco (03-Feb-11)

Thanks
    I see on a couple of other telecoms forums that the oversized installation screen is a known issue with the latest ubuntu edition. It's especially playing havoc with the server edition which is more often than not installed remotely. I haven't seen a workaround yet but if I do I'll post it here.

Thanks
    I have downloaded Free download manager and seems to work fine............thanks.
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Hi Martin

I only have 10.04

Am also experimenting with it, and did the following :

assuming you have a decent PC ( dual core ) with 3gb ram ?

Download and install VirtualBox (free) - allows you to have a virtual PC ( or many ) on your windows platform.

I then installed Windows 98 on one virtual drive, Ubuntu on another, and a clean (from CD) copy of XP Pro on another.

This lets you use another OS without having to re-boot the PC, and you can cross copy from one OS to another.
    Thanks Dave,

Got the whole package, so now I can do a bit of playing around.
    I shall keep you posted.

Again thank you for your trouble.
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123