Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Aid

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Medical Aid

Hi Guys & Gals,

Just a quick 1 before my real question, if my memory serves me right didnt we have a general section where we could ask general questions? I know this is a business forum but we have some highly intellegent people with real good advise here

My question is about medical aid. My wife and i are planning a child. I have always been on medical aid until the last 14 months due to financial difficulty as i started my own business.

I hear there are some medical aids that have waiting periods of 12 months for pregnancy and child births and some 3 months ?

Any one with any advise ?

Thanks guys

Thanks
    I suggest you go to e.g. http://www.libmed.co.za/ and check out their rules. I am sure I saw it somewhere but as this benefit would not apply to me anymore, I did not pay any notice to this.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Go to : http://www.libmed.co.za/documents/pr...er%20Guide.pdf and check page 46 onwards, however I cannot find any reference to pregnancy.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
    if my memory serves me right didnt we have a general section where we could ask general questions?
    No, your memory isn't letting you down. I did some relabeling for SEO purposes about a year ago

Which reminds me - I've got two forums to relabel that I've been meaning to get to for a little while now.

And no, I can't help with the medical aid question. My medical aid is Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Diners Club, and they don't care how or when you claim as long as you pay the instalments
    Last edited by Dave A; 12-Jan-11 at 07:17 PM.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hey Dave,

How has that been working for you?

I was considering putting aside the medical aid contribution into a savings account or something and using it from there when needed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this stage I am way ahead of the game. But I believe the really big bills tend to come in our twilight years...

There are other advantages apart from the "cost comparison" angle:
    • My dentist (who has probably been the biggest beneficiary so far from the family medical expenses over the years) gives me a COD discount.
    • I never have a problem waiting for medical aid approval to get anyone admitted to a hospital. Just flash plastic, they swipe, you're in.

I guess you can run out of money this way. But by my understanding you can also run out of medical aid...

If you can be disciplined and put the money away - even invest it, I suspect there's a better than even chance you'll end up well ahead of the game.
    Last edited by Dave A; 13-Jan-11 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Firstly some medical aids do allow leniency towards pregnancy. But you will need to do your homework as most medical aids don’t care for your health at all. I will rule out dis*overy h*alth, they are the worst medical aid you can have. I had a friend he had his red-ticked and a clean bill of health to go with it.

One morning he woke up and had to go to hospital because he could not walk, it turns out he had a fracture some-ware in the pelvic-aria. Well dis*overy m*dical aid phoned him and told him that he is no longer with them as a client because he did not state on the questionnaire that he had the fracture.

Well he was pinned for a R45000 “more or less” operation excluding meals. His wife had to make a personal loan from her boss and the family took one hell of a nock. Well the operation was done and the problem fixed still to this day one cannot help but wonder how dis*overy h*alth works.

We don’t have x-ray vision how the hell can we see into the pelvic-aria and it is worth noting that not even medical personal picked up on it when he went for his red-ticket...

So I would stay well clear of dis*overy m*dical aid. They are not good people!

That being said my medical is good, I don’t enjoy any benefits at the dentist but when I ended up in hospital everything was paid for in full. My medical policy state that they will cover me for much more than a few days, so it’s worth spending that little extra. Also never abuse your medical aid because when you need it, it will not be there for you.

Give them a call what do you have to lose? Contact-Us

I don’t know if they will help with the pregnancy or not but it is really not a bad medical aid.
    Last edited by tec0; 13-Jan-11 at 10:14 AM.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    At this stage I am way ahead of the game. But I believe the really big bills tend to come in our twilight years...

There are other advantages apart from the "cost comparison" angle:
    • My dentist (who has probably been the biggest beneficiary so far from the family medical expenses over the years) gives me a COD discount.
    • I never have a problem waiting for medical aid approval to get anyone admitted to a hospital. Just flash plastic, they swipe, you're in.

I guess you can run out of money this way. But by my understanding you can also run out of medical aid...

If you can be disciplined and put the money away - even invest it, I suspect there's a better than even chance you'll end up well ahead of the game.
    Dave
    I have gone halfway and just have a hospital plan. My biggest fear is landing up in intensive care. I know people where the costs would bankrupt me if any of us went to hospital. Here in Johannesburg you have to pay most doctors/dentists when you visit them. So no COD discounts. Do you have any hospital insurance.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Tec0, thanks for the advise.

What medical aid are you on?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have included the this LINK for you. I am with them for a while now and they are not perfect but they do take care of you when it matters.

You can also click on the "Contact-Us" on the above post, it will take you to the same information page.

hope it helps.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast