Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical Aid

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Do you have any hospital insurance.
    I used to until the day after I needed it.

Kidney stone.
    In agony.
    Waiting for authorisation from medical insurance.
    Waved plastic.
    Oh man - cyclomorphine is good stuff

After a Dornier procedure I was discharged the next day. The bill came to the equivalent of about 20 months instalments for the hospital insurance.

I paid the bill and cancelled the insurance.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (13-Jan-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I will rule out d*s*ov*ry h*alth, they are the worst medical aid you can have.
    I support 110% !!!! I used to be with them but as you say, the worst that I know of and by no means the cheapest. Their admin is atrocious and the member always end up with the sh*t end of the stick.
    I even went so far as to write to the CEO twice, guess what...........not even the courtesy of a reply. I then voted with my feet. Just follow their trail back a few years an see what they have "achieved' within just a short time. ( With who's money ? ) And this after just a few years ago, they had to "negotiate" with the Medical Control Board because they did not have enough reserves. ( Not me saying so.....I heard this on the radio. )

Dave's plan can work very well but then you have to start early in your life and not dip into these funds for all sorts or be as rich as him !
    Last edited by Dave A; 13-Jan-11 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My experience was an interesting one. See I was slowly kicking the bucket due to affixation no joke “a horrible experience in its own right” and I started to black-out while the hospital tried to get me to sign my life away.

I cannot remember much but my medical aid approved my operation in no time flat! Seriously my problem was with all those damn papers you have to fill in before they help you!!!!

I am bloody dyslexic and dying! But noooo!!! Those damn papers must be filled in before anything can happen!!! Not even a magic plastic card can bypass that...

Still it is true if you can afford to go to a private hospital without a medical aid then that is your best bet. But if you can’t then get a medical aid... St@te hospit@ls are horrible death-traps!!!

My Hospital Plan
    Last edited by tec0; 13-Jan-11 at 03:14 PM.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks

St@te hospit@ls are horrible death-traps!!!
    You go in the front door and exit via the back with different clothes. Cotton swapped for wood.
    Last edited by Dave A; 13-Jan-11 at 05:16 PM.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is for that reason and only that reason why I have a medical aid! I don’t care about a dental plan or any of that. All I want for my money is a proper hospital with proper care. Any other benefit my medical may have is secondary.

For example: I pay for my own doctor visits, my own glasses and so on. I even pay for my own medicine. My medical aid is only to be used when I am down and out! See some people think a medical aid can pay for this and that but... I rather recommend only use your medical when you are in real trouble.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    St@te hospit@ls are horrible death-traps!!!
    Tec0.... it looks like this week you and i are out for interesting debate... luv a good conversation.

We also dumped med aid years ago for multiple reasons, the biggest issue actually was the broker lied to us, we ended up with 300k in med bills...took a few years to come right.

Not going into huge detail as the wife does not like it, finds it embarrassing but the basics were she had a cancer op that went somewhat wrong. The cancer was fine but the damage left by the op was considerable. What we didnt know was to come right from that was actually a bit of a lucky draw... could go right, could go wrong. This was probably the 2 worst years of our life.

In the end she ended up in Joburg gen as we were seriously tapped out and had no choice. She had some of the best professors, it took a long time with anesthetist strikes etc all in the middle of it etc, but she got sorted out.

The private doctors who did the original cancer op that created the new problem response was..NO F""ING jokes was "shit happens". (sorry for the un-freindly family words but from a doc, it deserves its place!!)

Those doc at joburg gen gave her a life back. The logistics, the paper work, the waiting etc etc is a nightmare.... but do not under-estimate the final result either.

I have also done Pretoria Academic a few times with the kids.... i would choose either ANYTIME over the private hospital and Docs that we endured.

By the way, that same private hospital has almost KILLED my wife twice... i do not use those choice of words lightly.
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    For example: I pay for my own doctor visits, my own glasses and so on. I even pay for my own medicine. My medical aid is only to be used when I am down and out! See some people think a medical aid can pay for this and that
    Are you aware that you can deduct from your yearly income all your medical expenses, provided that the invoices are in your name, and keep a good record, and you actually get taxed at the lower income.

I always ensure that all invoices, from doctors, dentists, chemists or any medical requirement has my name on it, and every year, I file it against my income when I do my tax.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Anyone have any experience with BestMed. They seem to be the only one i can find so far without a 12 month waiting period on pregnancies.

My problem right now is that we are just just starting to come right and i hear the bills can get quiet high for pregnancies and child birth.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well our local hospital is not a nice place. As we speak a friend of mine was shot over the holiday season and without any humour his foot was eaten by maggots... And he had infection and he is not getting better. They had to do an emergency operation last night!

If you would like please PM me garthu and I will clue in on where to visit and you can see for yourself. I would also inform you of things that have happened to people wile under this hospital’s care.

I am not saying that all hospitals are like that, and yes most doctors are useless I know I report them regularly! I am not proud of this but I am the reason why some of them don’t practice anymore. No joke. They played with my health, my life! So I did what I do best and that is open a world of trouble and bring it to their doorstep.

So yes in my opinion get a good doctor ask him/ her outright questions and expect answers otherwise you stand up and you leave. Also always get a second opinion and why not a third or fourth opinion if the procedure is dangerous.

My advice is if you can afford it, get a medical plan. It will only benefit you. Yes it is expensive I know it is expensive! But sometimes some things are just more important than money. Also did what I did get your medical aid to provide you with detailed information never ever listen to those advisers.

If you have questions then use E-MAIL!!!! And only E-MAIL because you have things in writing and that is so important! Yes they avoid using e-mail but I force them to use it. Yes it takes a lot of manipulation but it is possible my inbox is proof of that.

Also if you would like to know more then start here; HPCSA
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Are you aware that you can deduct from your yearly income all your medical expenses, provided that the invoices are in your name, and keep a good record, and you actually get taxed at the lower income.
    Justloadit > Would you mind explaining this in more detail for us please. It would be very helpful
    peace is a state of mind

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast