Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to work smart

Thanks
    Very Good article...
    Your own home even also ..tell a story how organise you are...

thanks
    Gino

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Have been thinking about this thread.

Working only on one idea - what guarantee have you got that it will take off, and make the proverbial millions? Spending all your time on one idea, does not guarantee success.

My experience has been that all ideas are good, however the technology and development of this idea , on the surface may be expensive, but pales in respect tot he amount of marketing required t get it into the bright lights and earning. My experience has been in the region of approximately 1000 to one, the cost of marketing against the cost of the R & D of a product.

So there is a danger of too focused and not achieving the result.

Unfortunately, I have 3 to 6 ideas popping into my head a day, and they all have potential to make it. What I have to do is to limit which ideas I will look further into and make it go forward.

My past experience on product success as far as financial gain is concerned, is 2 to 3% of all my ideas have been money spinners, the rest whilst successful at technology level, were mere stepping stones to the next creation.

What I am saying, is that although the product that I developed was not financially successful, it was definitely a small contributor to the one that is successful. When I look back at the money spinners, they all have a evolved from previous unsuccessful ideas. I suppose this is what drives the continuous development on a regular basis.

Something similar to the book "Who moved my cheese", always looking for new pockets of income
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @justloadit - My mind works the same as yours. I am constantly thinking about the ongoing projects - I have started keeping a notebook nearby so that I can keep track of the ideas. The ideas are really snippets of issues that I am dealing with on the larger projects.

To give you an idea of the stuff going on in my head at the moment (problems to be solved, ideas to be developed, ongoing projects)
    1. Refining resin casting methods.
    2. Laser cutting (perpex boxes, wooden trays, model display cabinets, model houses, what materials, better materials, ultra thin materials, engraving, keyrings...0)
    3. Painting methods for printers trays (spray painting, time, space cost, acrylics, hand, enamel Velvaglo)
    4. EL-wire products (using the laser, powering, drives, solar, batteries...)
    5. Model train controllers (DCC, Everyday electronics latest project, pics, h-bridge)
    6. Pad printing (machine, R9,5K)
    7. Pakaging (Polystyrene box inserts (the wire eats 1mm, silkscreening, cardboard, laser cutting)
    8. White metal casting
    9. The of course all the reading to be done.
    10. And of course all the outstanding work for the customers.
    11. Art using the laser (lighted posters, edge lighting - led strips (+- flexiible)
    12.....And so on and so forth.

all these things happen simultaneously and time slice as new information becomes available. I also find that i would do someting, like a 3D model and hit a snag, farm farm farm and not be able to sort it out. I would leave it and switch to a different project only to have a lightbulb go off in my head and go back and solve the problem (This happens with 100 simultaneous procts & issues)

If I had 1000 hands and 1000 hours per day I would still not be bored or get to all the things I'd like to do.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Hi......I begin by looking at aspects of your job that diminish energy and creative spark. making the further discussions on it..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonstewart View Post
    Hi......I begin by looking at aspects of your job that diminish energy and creative spark. making the further discussions on it..
    Hi Jackson,

This is a continuous thought in my mind, but the solution right now is slightly out of reach economically. There,s just not enough bottom line to solve it with more staff. Hopefully this new year it will be solved, there are some nice sizable projects in the pipeline that just may be enough extra cash to make it viable.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    So there is a danger of too focused and not achieving the result.
    Or too diffused and not achieving anything either...

Which is typically the greater obstacle to success for people who aren't achieving results?

Is it that they're not tackling enough things, or are they not succeeding in at least one thing?

As an aside, I suggest we're probably going to get really stuck if we throw research and development into the same box with this singular focus aspect. Research is very much about throwing the net far and wide. Development is way more focused.
    Last edited by Dave A; 23-Dec-10 at 05:24 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234