Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Debt Judgment procedure

Thanks
    That might be true but I expect it to apply to huge sums. The sum I am talking about is minute in comparison. And to institute legal action offshore would be too costly in relation to the alleged debt. I would challenge any judgment with a recission anyway because of a few material issues, the most important being I didn't skip a debt. Then we can face each other in court. Anyway, if I hold them off another year or so it will have prescribed, barring any judgement.

Thanks

procedures of filing judgment

[QUOTE=AndrewD;42525]What is the procedure for a company to get a debt judgment against a person?

Almost the same thing happened to me.
    6 years ago in June of 2008, I was contacted by a law firm notifying me that I have been handed over for an unpaid doctors account, which I have never received due to the receptionist making an error on my postal address. In July I paid the account at the law firm in cash R950 and received a hand written receipt as proof of payment. Since then I have not been contacted again by this law firm.

Last week when applying for an account I was declined due to a judgment on my name, which i had no knowledge of. I requested a credit report and discovered that the judgment filed against me was for the above mention account and it was done a whole year after I have made the payment in full.
    I received no summons no notification whatsoever.

I contacted the law firm to get the proof of procedures followed and the judgment application, just to get told that they have no record of my payment, neither do they have my file any longer because they destroy files that are older than 5years old, even though according to them they have no proof of me paying the account.

I also don't have proof anymore as I know I paid my account and I have not been contacted by them since I discarded the proof as I thought it was resolved.

What can I do?

Thanks
    In February 2010, the sheriff attempted to execute on a judgement by a bank against me. As I did not own any property at the time, the sheriff filed a nil return. It appears to me that the debt has now been ceded to a firm of attorneys that are now hounding me for payments. Can a creditor take any further steps to collect on a judgement after the sheriff filed a nil return?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debtors101 View Post
    In February 2010, the sheriff attempted to execute on a judgement by a bank against me. As I did not own any property at the time, the sheriff filed a nil return. It appears to me that the debt has now been ceded to a firm of attorneys that are now hounding me for payments. Can a creditor take any further steps to collect on a judgement after the sheriff filed a nil return?
    Your problem here is that a judgement has been taken, so the debt only prescribes after 30 years. (More on prescription periods here).

Thanks
    Please can someone help me with some advice- 7 yrs ago I went through a divorce wherein I relinquished ownership of a property I co-owned with my ex-husband. We were married ANC with accrual.

In my deed of settlement, it makes reference to this and 'claims against the estate' whereby it outlines that each party will be liable for any debt owed to creditors and will accept this debt as their own.....nevertheless in Feb I discovered that I have a judgment against my name for levies which my ex-husband has not paid. This debt was accrued after my divorce.
    I tried obtaining written consent from the body corporate to rescind the judgement against my name because I do not own this property but they refused, all summons/interaction has been addressed to my ex. He has not removed my name from the bond nor does he want to co operate. I live in a rented property with my daughter and cannot be responsible for his debt. What can I do to clear my name?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123